Splitter questions; Brave (or Iron and Oak) vs. American vs Wallenstein vs. Huskee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an older Northstar and I like it. I have also used several others over the years, and don't like the wedge on the ram setup. Tough logs, like Elm can get stuck on it, and I think it's easier to clear a fixed wedge while the ram is moving back then to try to clear the ram mounted wedge. I also prefer horzontal with a table as well. Not sure of the height of mine, but a few inches higher would be better. Prolly do about 5 cords / year now and it's all I really need. The best option for any splitter is HELP!!

I have a Brave 22 ton 25 inch splitter. Only complaint is the working height in horizontal position, way to low. I do like the vertical stance, just pull up a stump and have a seat while splitting the others. I split anything from knarly hedge and mulberry to oak and stringy elm. Not too many things have stopped it yet.

My dad and I went in on a Northern 37 ton together. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. It will crotchwood with a 4 way wedge. Just for kicks I tried a 5 inch branch sideways. Of course it didn't split but it was mashing it in two until I got off the joystick.
I did make two changes. The first is adding a small table to help manage pieces to be split again. The second is that I increased the size of the log stripper. If left alone, when splitting horizontally a stuck log wants to hit the gas tank.
It doesn't have quite as fast a cycle time as some and is quicker than others. It is fast enough to outwork me pretty fast.

izw3n8.jpg
i like my iron&oak tom trees

Heres a pic of my Surge Master (Wallenstein wx980) splitter.
attachment.php

I had a 31 ton mtd, but it grew legs and walked off:cry: The Wallenstein has been very reliable, but I dont really care for the hose layout and it can be a bit of a pain to go vertical, which is ok for me because I prefer horizontal splitting to vertical splitting.

Last edited:
Heres a pic of my Surge Master (Wallenstein wx980) splitter.
attachment.php

I had a 31 ton mtd, but it grew legs and walked off:cry: The Wallenstein has been very reliable, but I dont really care for the hose layout and it can be a bit of a pain to go vertical, which is ok for me because I prefer horizontal splitting to vertical splitting.

Glad you posted that pic - it reminds me....is that cylinder mount called a trunion mount? Some splitters have the cyl attached at the rear of the cyl and some are like this one. They save weight/ mat'l on the main beam this way.....does it make a difference on strength/ balance, etc?

Glad you posted that pic - it reminds me....is that cylinder mount called a trunion mount? Some splitters have the cyl attached at the rear of the cyl and some are like this one. They save weight/ mat'l on the main beam this way.....does it make a difference on strength/ balance, etc?

I dont know what the mount is called? But I do know this unit is made strong. The welds are all high quality, and I have cut hundreds of cords with this splitter with no problems:)

Back