splitter questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs97

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i am building a splitter and almost to hydraulics. the return line i have coming in the top of my tank, but it is just dumping in from top. do i have to worry about bubbles? wish i would have made tube extend down in tank a ways to eliminate problem. tank is 14 gal. and suction is an inch from bottom.

thanks,
matt

if possible, run the return line to about 1" from the bottom of your tank.

also, if you can do it, place a baffle in the tank to prevent the oil from swirling. this will also help trap any particles. use the baffle to split your tank into two tanks. the baffle should be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the height of the tank. it would be wise to also cut the bottom corners of the baffle...about 1" of them. this helps keep the oil flowing if it ever drops to a low level.

...and put the suction on one side of the baffle, and the return on the other side. Keeps the suction line from using the hot return oil before it can cool off a little.
Aerated oil is not good for your pump. The little bubbles will actually erode the metal away when they get to the pressure side and implode. And they reduce the lubrication value of the oil.

Don the Hydraulics Guy

Latest posts

Back