Splitter Valve Not Holding On Return

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VelvetFoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The valve isn't holding a lot of times when the ram returns. Is there a way to adjust this? There is a little oil spitting out the end of the valve through the sides of a cover that is held on by a C ring (brain fade-not sure what it's called). It runs and splits well and is not old. There is no readable ID on the valve. Thanks.

PS: I am searching as well, but haven't found anything yet.

depends on the type of valve

On my old Brave splitter the spool has a notch and a spring steel ring.. when you pull the lever back the ring expands into a grove.. The lever has a deal on it that the ram hits to reverse the valve back to neutral.

It could be...

If it is a plain ol' log splitter valve (prince) then I might be tempted to say that the pair of springs are loose under that cap on the tail. maybe not.

There should be a small bolt with lock nut that adjusts the pressure detent on the rear portion of the valve. You could adjust that up a 1/8 turn....

If the valve is really old they can get touchy...

I have had my splitter do this when the oil is cold and thicker. When warmed up the kickout holds just fine.

My $0.02 worth.

-Pat

This was a while back, and memory fades, but I had a valve that didn't hold and when I took it apart, the shaft had a groove around it that a ball would be pushed into by a spring to hold the handle back. The ball had worn another groove lengthways in the shaft. I just rotated the shaft, put it back together and worked fine for ever after.

What I meant was, the detent ball had worn a groove in the shaft. I was able to solve the problem by rotating the shaft.

What I meant was, the detent ball had worn a groove in the shaft. I was able to solve the problem by rotating the shaft.

In your first post you said it has been a while, and, well the newer valves just don't have the balls that the older ones had. :laugh:
I do think that they started using softer detent balls, or harder steel in the shaft. I was given a valve that didn't work and when I pulled it apart it had the same groove you're talking about on 2 sides of the shaft.

Andy

tawilson,
That turned out to be a very practical, low-effort suggestion. It worked for me too! It held for four hours of splitting tonight. It still spits a little oil out the end when the lever is returned to neutral when the ram is on its back stroke. The spitting and having to do that fix doesn't seem right for a relatively new splitter.
Thanks again.

In your first post you said it has been a while, and, well the newer valves just don't have the balls that the older ones had. :laugh:
I do think that they started using softer detent balls, or harder steel in the shaft. I was given a valve that didn't work and when I pulled it apart it had the same groove you're talking about on 2 sides of the shaft.

Andy
Musta been my old one.:hmm3grin2orange:

tawilson,
That turned out to be a very practical, low-effort suggestion. It worked for me too! It held for four hours of splitting tonight. It still spits a little oil out the end when the lever is returned to neutral when the ram is on its back stroke. The spitting and having to do that fix doesn't seem right for a relatively new splitter.
Thanks again.
You are welcome.:cheers:

The Prince site, princehyd.com, has parts diagrams for their logsplitter valves, LS3000. We often find the little piston assembly which sticks out the side of the valve casting, near the rear , has gotten dry or corroded. Then the piston sticks instead of sliding smoothly and the detent sticks open. We stock the parts for them - you can buy the whole detent assembly pretty reasonably (around $15). Your leak is probably from a damaged o-ring. Seals are cheap too. But with the whole valve selling for under $73, we don't do any shop repairs on them.

[email protected]

splitter valve

i had this problem with my new valve..operating with a 14hp kohler.i called the company they said if theres to much vibration from the motor it will trip the auto return.instead of installing rubber grommets under motor i just put a bungie cord on the valve lever.it works great...

A couple days ago my auto return was not working so I called North Star. They told me that there was no detent adjustment on that Prince control valve. I didn't think that was right so I called Prince Manufacturing and they set me straight and it took 15 seconds to adjust the detent. The adjusting screw is located opposite end of handle on the side. I have a model LS3000. If you go on the Prince web site they have a diagram.

Back