Splitting axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVshooter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've seen really good things about the splitting axes from Fiskars on here. My question is: has anyone used one of the splitting axes from Lowe's or the like?

The one from Lowe's.
The one from Fiskars.

They have a similarly designed head. Has anyone used both? I'm looking for a new hand splitter and can go pick up the one from Lowe's or can try to be patient and order the other for around 10 bucks more online.

I used the one from lowes. It worked really well for anything under 8", but anything bigger than that it got stuck in the wood so I returned it. I use a collins 8lb axe now but still want one just like it but heavier. I don't think axes come heavier than that though...

So as long as your not splitting large wood I highly recommend it. :greenchainsaw:

i have a lowes 8lb maul, and the fiskars 4lb axe, i like the fiskars a little more u can tell its made well too

I've seen really good things about the splitting axes from Fiskars on here. My question is: has anyone used one of the splitting axes from Lowe's or the like?

The one from Lowe's.
The one from Fiskars.

They have a similarly designed head. Has anyone used both? I'm looking for a new hand splitter and can go pick up the one from Lowe's or can try to be patient and order the other for around 10 bucks more online.

It's been my finding that those designs are more like an axe than a maul and stick in the wood. Try a 6# Collins maul, I think they are made in PA.
John

I used the one from lowes. It worked really well for anything under 8", but anything bigger than that it got stuck in the wood ...So as long as your not splitting large wood I highly recommend it.

8" doesn't get split for the outdoor stove, guess a maul it will be then.

Thanks!

My 6# and 8# said they where made in mexico...

Collins has been making axes in Mexico for about 35 years or so... I have a newish splitting axe with the fiberglass handle. It will get stuck as well. Use a big 8# maul. Incidentally, here is my circa 1960's made in USA Homestead Collins axe:

large.jpg

My 6# and 8# said they where made in mexico...
Maybe Collins is subing out, but I could have sworn I saw a U.S flag on mine, but that was several years ago. I'm now using a similar maul, it's a Grizzly Garant made here in Canada. A five pounder would be even better I think.
An eight pounder tends to tire me out alot quicker.
John

I bought mine within this year so that could be the case.

Has anyone ever heard of a 10lb or 12lb axe?

An 8lb. splitting maul is my limit. Can I swing a 10-12 pounder? Sure, but not for as long as I can swing the 8 pounder and nowhere close to as long as I can swing the 4.25 lb. Fiskars SSA.

I do swing a 10 lb. sledge hammer when using wedges.

I got a Fiskars SS last year for Christmas, and for the most part like it. I have found that it isn't the "end all/do all" that some people on here would lead you to believe. Some of the stringy Doug Fir that I cut this year yielded much quicker to a 6lb maul in a "block to block" test. Maybe I'm still in the "getting used to the short handle" faze, but the Fiskars wasn't the clear winner in my tests.

Does any partcular store stock the Fiskars axe, or are they only online?

Sears supposedly carries it, but not the two stores around me. They stock many Fiskars products, including the Pro Splitting Axe but not the Super Splitting Axe (#7854).

Before Baileys started carrying it, I bought two of them from Ace Hardware Outlet (no tax for me & free shipping) because it was the best deal at the time.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=7164692&source=GoogleBase

It's been my finding that those designs are more like an axe than a maul and stick in the wood. Try a 6# Collins maul, I think they are made in PA.
John

They sure are axes, not mauls, that is what makes them more effective, despite they are lighter!

Of course the Fiskars ones, with the relatively short handles, are not meant for splitting wood that is sitting directly on the ground - I use a 20 to 24" high "rest" for the wood that is to be split. A bonus is that the axe never hits anything but wood, as the rest is of course also wood - just larger diameter!

It has been done that way "since stone age" here, and I will not be the one that change the practise - it works too well for that! :)

I may have to run out and see if the True Value or Ace stores nearby have them...I'm kind of anxious to see. Some of the videos I watched seemed to show little problem on larger rounds, just a few extra whacks.

An 8lb. splitting maul is my limit. Can I swing a 10-12 pounder? Sure, but not for as long as I can swing the 8 pounder and nowhere close to as long as I can swing the 4.25 lb. Fiskars SSA.

I do swing a 10 lb. sledge hammer when using wedges.

I have been using a Monster Maul for over 30 years. I am not a big guy (170#) but I like being able to split with one swing, never getting the head stuck and not having to worry about breaking the handle. As i close in on 60 I may have to rethink this strategy.

Mauls004.jpg

I have been using a Monster Maul for over 30 years. I am not a big guy (170#) but I like being able to split with one swing, never getting the head stuck and not having to worry about breaking the handle. As i close in on 60 I may have to rethink this strategy.

Mauls004.jpg

I have a monster maul identical to yours there. For me personally it is the most useless poorly designed back puller I have ever seen and I am half your age. I am 6'7" and 280 so swinging it ain't a problem but after using it the first time I realized it only has one place in my hand splitting arsenal and that is a bigger wedge to drive in those stubborn pieces that swallowed a couple normal wedges. Any other use of it for splitting wood is to hard on the body. I have a craftsman 6# maul with a fiberglass handle that will do everything a monster maul will do and atleast the handle will absorb some of the shock.

I have a monster maul identical to yours there. For me personally it is the most useless poorly designed back puller I have ever seen and I am half your age. I am 6'7" and 280 so swinging it ain't a problem but after using it the first time I realized it only has one place in my hand splitting arsenal and that is a bigger wedge to drive in those stubborn pieces that swallowed a couple normal wedges. Any other use of it for splitting wood is to hard on the body. I have a craftsman 6# maul with a fiberglass handle that will do everything a monster maul will do and atleast the handle will absorb some of the shock.

Ditto on that. Way too heavy for any practical use. While they are lifting the rounds up on a block to hit with a monster maul, I'm done and drinking a col' one after using my "wussy" 6# fiberglass the correct way.

Latest posts

Back