Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiskars X7 heading my way from Amazon this afternoon. Had some points to burn.

Also ordered "Never Cry Wolf", "American Wilderness Hunting" 1 and 2 (by Arthur Dubs, well known outdoor film producer), Rocky Trilogy, and Rambo Trilogy.

Nope, first I have seen of that model, but I want one for sure. 64 bucks online running a search with the model number.

Well, im in the market for a new tool.

Was really expecting to get a black friday splitter but nobody had any sales near me, so im gonna continue to borrow as needed and split mostly by hand.

I have the true temper 3.5lb splitter with the "wings" on the side that really throw the wood. It just doesnt work well in big tough wood. So i backed it up with an 8lb Truper maul. I like it so far, handled some 26" green red oak rounds i really wasnt expecting it to crack. Then the same for some knotty white oak. 8lbs is a lot to move, and i felt it pretty fast.

So the dilemma... S2800, x27, or the new stihl? I need a midweight splitting axe to use most of the time. Read this whole thread and still cant seem to figure out which one i want.

Went shopping today with every intention of buying an x27, saving $50 and being done with it. Well, Lowes only had the full black handle version which ive gathered is the original model and not as good as the x27.
AweOwXE.jpg

So, unless somebody talks me out of it, i think im gonna put an order in for an S2800 at the local husky dealer. What is the head weight on those?

Went shopping today with every intention of buying an x27, saving $50 and being done with it. Well, Lowes only had the full black handle version which ive gathered is the original model and not as good as the x27.

So, unless somebody talks me out of it, i think im gonna put an order in for an S2800 at the local husky dealer. What is the head weight on those?

The all black version currently available is exactly the same as the X27 except for having a molded plastic grip instead of a rubberized grip. Performance is identical.

Not sure if you read my other thread yet but several of us do believe that the S2800 is a more effective tool than the X27. @spike60 has them for $70.

Just ordered one of the new fiskars isocore 8 lbers. They are already back ordered, getting it when they can get them shipped directly to my closest true value, ordered it right through them locally, same as online price. I do business with those guys a lot, they said probably around three weeks or so.

Just ordered one of the new fiskars isocore 8 lbers. They are already back ordered, getting it when they can get them shipped directly to my closest true value, ordered it right through them locally, same as online price. I do business with those guys a lot, they said probably around three weeks or so.
We will anxiously await your review. What was the price?

For that price I'm debating just ordering one.

You don't know how many times I've looked at those Euro Fiskar mauls. But it would have been almost 200 bucks including shipping to get one here.

Yep, that's why I jumped on it. seemed quite reasonable only ten bucks more than an x27. Called them before and asked why not sell the big euro jobs here? Crickets... Maybe they finally realized there are niches that fit different axes and a big one with a long handle is quite a common splitting niche here in the US. I am amazed it took them this long. I know I want it for the low vibes handle. My truper does the job at 8lbs but the vibes and shock really did a number on my elbow, taken more than a year off and not split much at all because of that. I am WAYYY behind on splitting. I've done a few swings on oakzilla chunks with my small variety here, but..still sucks. We'll see if this can work as the big boy adjunct to my original supersplitter..if not..drat..have to break down and get some dang machine splitter...

Latest posts

Back