Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How effective is a Granfors?

I know their beautiful and of great quality but compared to these modern jigs, how do the dern things split wood?

I could probably swing one for a xmas gift, but not if it isnt an extremely effective splitter.

Yep, that's why I jumped on it. seemed quite reasonable only ten bucks more than an x27. Called them before and asked why not sell the big euro jobs here? Crickets... Maybe they finally realized there are niches that fit different axes and a big one with a long handle is quite a common splitting niche here in the US. I am amazed it took them this long. I know I want it for the low vibes handle. My truper does the job at 8lbs but the vibes and shock really did a number on my elbow, taken more than a year off and not split much at all because of that. I am WAYYY behind on splitting. I've done a few swings on oakzilla chunks with my small variety here, but..still sucks. We'll see if this can work as the big boy adjunct to my original supersplitter..if not..drat..have to break down and get some dang machine splitter...

I understand about the being injured and trying to play catch up because you don't have a choice. I look at the one man show being a marathon and not a sprint. lol

If I lived closer to you Zog, I'd be down for helping you split. I think it would be fun and really be able to make some progress on your piles.

I understand about the being injured and trying to play catch up because you don't have a choice. I look at the one man show being a marathon and not a sprint. lol

If I lived closer to you Zog, I'd be down for helping you split. I think it would be fun and really be able to make some progress on your piles.

Oh ya, it would be fun for sure. I ain't sweating it right now, I am still years ahead with cut/split/stacked. And there is always noodling plus just cutting more smalls that don't need splitting.

Well. I rejected svks opinion and got the Fiskars. $100 bones is high and since i split on the ground most of the time, i dont think the husky was for me.

First impression of the Fiskars...quite favorable.

It was splitting big red oak in fewer hits than the 8lb truper. Once you get a split it doesnt take a "full swing". To split off chunks after that.

My only niche left to fill is something in the 6lb range...not sure what that needs to be but i think ill be using the fiskars almost exclusively now.

Made a few of these
ymnsdyH.jpg

Into these
fgorCUa.jpg

And into this
IniZ8jP.jpg

Well I broke another maul today. Not too far out of the ordinary other than I dont have any wood handled mauls anymore. The maul that is now headless is one of he big giant old school mega mauls. So if anyone wants my review of nameless brand meg maul dad has had since the 1970s loved it till it is now handleless. Secondly if anyone wants to know more about the wilton bash I have been using one for about the last 10 cords of everything imaginable in the mid west and keep going back to it over my x27 which now sits in the corner most of the time with the collection of broken mauls. The wilton i have is the short handled 8lb version. I would say the design of the edege on it and the factory edge that came on it were quite poor but after about 30 minutes with a flap disk it is much better. Though i still do not believe it is a very good head design it is made of verry good steel compared to the x27. Also the back side of it is a sledge hammer so it can be used to beat on things like wedged (or as pops used it for concrete). Like I said i think that someone could do alot better on the design of the head but i really like it and use it more than anything else because the thing is INDESTRUCTABLE. That is my rambling review of the wilton now i want to learn more about that new stihl.

Well I broke another maul today. Not too far out of the ordinary other than I dont have any wood handled mauls anymore. The maul that is now headless is one of he big giant old school mega mauls. So if anyone wants my review of nameless brand meg maul dad has had since the 1970s loved it till it is now handleless. Secondly if anyone wants to know more about the wilton bash I have been using one for about the last 10 cords of everything imaginable in the mid west and keep going back to it over my x27 which now sits in the corner most of the time with the collection of broken mauls. The wilton i have is the short handled 8lb version. I would say the design of the edege on it and the factory edge that came on it were quite poor but after about 30 minutes with a flap disk it is much better. Though i still do not believe it is a very good head design it is made of verry good steel compared to the x27. Also the back side of it is a sledge hammer so it can be used to beat on things like wedged (or as pops used it for concrete). Like I said i think that someone could do alot better on the design of the head but i really like it and use it more than anything else because the thing is INDESTRUCTABLE. That is my rambling review of the wilton now i want to learn more about that new stihl.
Cool! Glad to hear a review on the 8# bash. I have a 6# but haven't had a chance to use it enough to form an opinion.

How does the vibration in the handle of the s2800 compare to that in the x27? That is one of the main reasons i like the wilton so much and franly dislike the x27.

How does the vibration in the handle of the s2800 compare to that in the x27? That is one of the main reasons i like the wilton so much and franly dislike the x27.
I haven't really noticed any however I have been using cotton gloves. I know it's noticeable when splitting hardwood with the X27, not so much when splitting softer wood.

I have a Gransfors Bruks splitting maul, a Fiskars x27, and a TrueValue type 6lb splitting maul. The Gransfors Bruks is easily the best. It's really a pretty amazing thing, and I love it. I dinged it trying to split apple wood (don't try to split apple wood btw), but it's just so much better than everything else.

I have a Gransfors Bruks splitting maul, a Fiskars x27, and a TrueValue type 6lb splitting maul. The Gransfors Bruks is easily the best. It's really a pretty amazing thing, and I love it. I dinged it trying to split apple wood (don't try to split apple wood btw), but it's just so much better than everything else.
Is that the "large splitting maul"? I have looked at that model, they appear quite impressive.

I have had one of these for a couple years now ,great for kindling ,and carpentry even ,i make log furniture type stuff once in a while ,and it works great for peeling bark and shaping logs ,i bought a husqvarna carpenter axe for this ,but it is bigger and not as easy to get detail work done with it on smaller stuff over the x-7

I have had one of these for a couple years now ,great for kindling ,and carpentry even ,i make log furniture type stuff once in a while ,and it works great for peeling bark and shaping logs ,i bought a husqvarna carpenter axe for this ,but it is bigger and not as easy to get detail work done with it on smaller stuff over the x-7
If this is as big of an improvement over a regular hatchet as the X-15 is over a traditional chopping axe I am sure I'll greatly enjoy it. (Haven't had a chance to use it yet).

Sometimes when I am hand splitting, the far side of the round will have a bunch of stringy fibers in the outside 1/2" of wood below the bark. It's nice to have a hatchet handy to zing through these rather than have to take a swing with the big axe.

Is that the "large splitting maul"? I have looked at that model, they appear quite impressive.
Apparently they make a "Large Splitting Axe" and a "Splitting Maul". I have the maul, not the axe, and it's a wonderful tool. It was the Christmas present I asked for last year, and totally worth it. I hand split 2 1/2 cords with it so far, almost all of it pretty large, hard hickory and oak. I see it's on Amazon now, but for like $30 more than I got it for last year.

Apparently they make a "Large Splitting Axe" and a "Splitting Maul". I have the maul, not the axe, and it's a wonderful tool. It was the Christmas present I asked for last year, and totally worth it. I hand split 2 1/2 cords with it so far, almost all of it pretty large, hard hickory and oak. I see it's on Amazon now, but for like $30 more than I got it for last year.
Got it, sorry I typed the wrong thing.

Interesting thing about Amazon, I was looking at buying a Helko axe as a gift. Price is up 32 bucks from last year and 20 bucks from a month ago. I wonder if they will go down after the holdiays?

I need to pick up one of those small Fiskars hatchets.

Been getting some time with my GB maul and small splitting axe. Very pleased with both. Sort if want a GB outdoor axe for the real small stuff (for my smoker).

i-LbcFhT6-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back