Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, boy... got the Cliff's Notes edition on that story? Sounds juicy...
Yuppie type fellow who has been interested in said topic for a couple years and of course knows everything about everything, argues on virtually every post someone makes, and shames anyone who doesn't agree with him. Has a high end European axe on display which didn't appear to have ever been used. Started picking at me over using chopping axes to split wood. Told him I needed to rotate through and give every tool a chance to do some work and since I had about 40 axes I didn't feel the need to split with a maul unless necessary. Then he tried to tell me about Leveraxes which I of course have both models sitting at my house. This is of course after we'd done battle on other topics where he had come down on good folks with his holier than though crap and I'd called him out on that as well.

Eventually the site owner told him and another dude to BTFO of people but he never bothered me again lol.

I just checked, the couple of comments about the fiskars hookaroon were that it didn't hold so well in some wood types. TBH you can say that about any hookaroon.

I agree, some really dense woods when green, the hook doesn't want to stick in no matter how fine you file it. Seems to work best with seasoned or drier wood.

I was eyeballing a fiskars pole saw today at the local fleetfarm supply. Has anyone here give one a try?

How be darn the Gransfors Scandinavian forest axe came in the mail today on my Bday. The axe is a amazing piece of workmanship. I bumped my thumb into the edge and now I'm wearing a band aid. This sucker is as sharp as a razor!! View attachment 616616
Very nice. Happy birthday! I gotta find other stuff to read to kill time. Now I want an axe!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Yuppie type fellow who has been interested in said topic for a couple years and of course knows everything about everything, argues on virtually every post someone makes, and shames anyone who doesn't agree with him. Has a high end European axe on display which didn't appear to have ever been used. Started picking at me over using chopping axes to split wood. Told him I needed to rotate through and give every tool a chance to do some work and since I had about 40 axes I didn't feel the need to split with a maul unless necessary. Then he tried to tell me about Leveraxes which I of course have both models sitting at my house. This is of course after we'd done battle on other topics where he had come down on good folks with his holier than though crap and I'd called him out on that as well.

Eventually the site owner told him and another dude to BTFO of people but he never bothered me again lol.

Sounds like this person lives more inside their own head than in the field, I know a few types myself. I like to hear about these encounters, it helps check myself. I am not nearly as seasoned as most of you here on this board. The knowledge base and enthusiasm is what lead me here in the first place. I'm actually a bit of a "noOb" myself according to some standards, likely having much less experience than what is assumed according to my posts. I definitely do NOT want to be this guy...

Heavier pick will drive deeper, all things considered. But also heavier to swing.

Philbert

Good point, I thought about adding a weighted band to my home-made pickaroon, but seems like it'd be better served to start from scratch or spend the coin. The only reason I made the one I posted it because it cost me nothing. The handle was free, a broken maul handle, and I found the carriage bolt. It only cost me my time and effort.

How be darn the Gransfors Scandinavian forest axe came in the mail today on my Bday. The axe is a amazing piece of workmanship. I bumped my thumb into the edge and now I'm wearing a band aid. This sucker is as sharp as a razor!! View attachment 616616

What a beautiful piece, that should serve you well. I've some close to buying one for myself on more than few occasions. Let us know how she chops!

Sounds like this person lives more inside their own head than in the field, I know a few types myself. I like to hear about these encounters, it helps check myself. I am not nearly as seasoned as most of you here on this board. The knowledge base and enthusiasm is what lead me here in the first place. I'm actually a bit of a "noOb" myself according to some standards, likely having much less experience than what is assumed according to my posts. I definitely do NOT want to be this guy...
The nice thing around here (firewood forum) is we help each other out and the bullies and know it alls have moved along to thump chests elsewhere. Even 5 years ago you'd get jumped for bringing up certain topics (Fiskars being one of them). It's great to have a place where folks can feel comfortable asking questions.

Was tending to my tools and axes this evening and decided to take a good look at my "new to me" spaltaxt from Helko that I bought early this spring. An estimated 4-5 cords split with it since I got it, and the leather collar guard has taken a beating. It nearly failed early during my last Ash splitting session, so much as that I had to wrap it in paracord to keep the leather from peeling away and exposing the wood. Hickory is strong, but gnarly rounds having the handle pass through the splits with force can destroy any wood. This Ash was wide. I can say that the paracord over top the leather held up very well, only had to re-position a few times to keep the coils aligned. Here is the aftermath:

4qXNvZb.jpg

Here it is with the paracord "Band-aid" removed:
N8rBffY.jpg

This is the only damage the handle has suffered in 4-5 cords split this year:
01nteV4.jpg

Anddd.... the parts:
BeYpLSo.jpg

Thanks, guys. I have posted it before, but in the last three months it's gotten a lot of use, figured I show how it's holding up. The steel holds an edge very well, just need to scrub it with some steel wool and kerosene and strop after a good use. The leather collar is toast, pointless to put it back on now. Was a freebie I got using a credit balance on Amazon. I'm thinking of making a kydex collar with a Paracord wrap. Handle strikes aren't an issue with small to medium sized logs, but the wide ones, it's a foregone conclusion.

svk, agreed. I like it here. It's easy to be opinionated on the web, just trying to be conscientious is all. Sometimes I look back a my earlier replies and think I get ahead of myself. I dunno. Anyway, cheers!

I was thinking on something Skillcult/Steven Edholm said about maybe wrapping with cloth and gluing. I thought either nylon mesh or better glass fibre matt glued on would be tough if the right glue were used. I tend to think epoxy might be too brittle, I think the ideal would be something that soaked in easily and dried tough but not brittle, maybe BLO would be enough? dunno, just thinking aloud.

Back