Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon its called a VB groundbreakers hs2 hammer & maul handle saver h-2 $8.86 in price. SVK they have a model for a axe handle also!

I seen a thick rubber handle protection collar somewhere. Let me think about it for a year or so and maybe it will pop into my pea brain.

I know what you're talking about, seen them before, but if we're both talking about the same thing, they're a bit wide and kind of goofy looking...

Looking at the wetterlings hudson bay axe on amazon and ebay before they are all gone. Just wondering how the quality is on what is still available.

I absolutely love my Wetterlings Hudson Bay, my current go-to axe for light chores. I'll post pics if it when I get home from work.

I bought mine from Canadian Outdoor Equipment for about $25 less than the Amazon seller. I actually originally bought one from Amazon, but returned it because the head was loose. Of course, I'm capable of fixing it, but after paying the money I expected a good tight fit.

That looks like good stuff especially if you end up with a couple of "whoopsies" like I often do.

View attachment 616748

I really like that axe, is it your 5 pounder?

I know what you're talking about, seen them before, but if we're both talking about the same thing, they're a bit wide and kind of goofy looking...

I absolutely love my Wetterlings Hudson Bay, my current go-to axe for light chores. I'll post pics if it when I get home from work.

I bought mine from Canadian Outdoor Equipment for about $25 less than the Amazon seller. I actually originally bought one from Amazon, but returned it because the head was loose. Of course, I'm capable of fixing it, but after paying the money I expected a good tight fit.

I really like that axe, is it your 5 pounder?
So the second one was seated tight?

I have my recently rehung hudsons bay axe that I need to strip the crappy varnish from House Handle and run with BLO. I also have another short handled axe that has a painted handle that will be stripped and redone with BLO.

I purchased some linseed oil yesterday in Alex for the granfors and another felling axe I have. Candian outdoor is sold out on Wetterlings, its high price on Amazon or Ebay only.

So the second one was seated tight?

I have my recently rehung hudsons bay axe that I need to strip the crappy varnish from House Handle and run with BLO. I also have another short handled axe that has a painted handle that will be stripped and redone with BLO.

Oh, yes, the second one came very tight. I dare say it's in there for life, only a wood wedge too.

Good deal and have fun with those two projects, definitely try using the spokeshave if you can find one. Makes it less aggravating

I purchased some linseed oil yesterday in Alex for the granfors and another felling axe I have. Candian outdoor is sold out on Wetterlings, its high price on Amazon or Ebay only.

Ah... I see, figures they'd be running low on inventory. I thought I saw them in stock last time I was there, but probably was mistaken. Wiseman Trading down in AL has them for the same price as Amazon, but without the Prime free shipping... Wiseman still has a few other Wetterlings axes. Good company, they are who I bought the above Helko Spaltaxt from.

The Wife just ordered the Wetterlings off Amazon for me 169.00. Ebay 173.00 on up over 220.00.

Nice! You should marry her again for that. My wife has never bought me an axe, instead she just beats up the Pulaski up on the hill in the woods, then I have to re-sharpen it...

The OrthoTape looks similar to fiberglass cast material (for broken bones) that is activated with water and sets hard. Also sold as a muffler bandage in auto parts stores.

I seen a thick rubber handle protection collar somewhere.
I would think that this approach would be better. Rubber is resilient and will not crack. Also removable.

Back in the 'olden days' I used to wrap my bicycle handlebars with rubber strips cut from old inner tubes, then cover / secure this with cloth tape over the top. Hockey tape would work well. Padded. Resilient. Easy to remove. Cheap.

Here is a similar idea using heater hose (could also use a piece of bicycle tire):

Or Google 'VB Groundbreakers Handle Saver' (several models) for a commercially made one.

Philbert

Fiskars 13" power tooth hand saw came in today. Will be testing it out on 200 or so Norway Pines and Spruce that need pruning on the bottom. Also a Helko Werk handle guard. The handle guard came with a bottle of axe head oil and their axe catalog. The guard says Germany but is made in the US. When I showed my Wife the axe catalog she started shaking her head.DSCN4566.JPG DSCN4567.JPG

Fiskars 13" power tooth hand saw came in today. Will be testing it out on 200 or so Norway Pines and Spruce that need pruning on the bottom. Also a Helko Werk handle guard. The handle guard came with a bottle of axe head oil and their axe catalog. The guard says Germany but is made in the US. When I showed my Wife the axe catalog she started shaking her head.View attachment 616757 View attachment 616758

That's the same leather collar I had on my Hello Spaltaxt, you can see in my pics how it got shredded from repeated splitting. It looks great, but the big logs chewed it up!

I like the heater hose idea. The helko collar I ordered before I seen yours beat to death.

It'll look nice on your Gransförs, is that what it's for? I think it would fare much better on a felling/chopping axe. Mine is on a splitting axe, so that area is subject to much more trauma.

I was thinking for the Gransfors. My Wife ordered a Husqvarna 13" hatchet for me a few days ago. It was discounted under 20 bucks on Amazon. I think they are made by Hults. I better buy two more of those fancy looking leather collars soon.:chop:

Fiskars 13" power tooth hand saw came in today. Will be testing it out on 200 or so Norway Pines and Spruce that need pruning on the bottom. Also a Helko Werk handle guard. The handle guard came with a bottle of axe head oil and their axe catalog. The guard says Germany but is made in the US. When I showed my Wife the axe catalog she started shaking her head.View attachment 616757 View attachment 616758
Just a thought too, you could put another layer of padding, say burlap or leather under that collar before you thread the back of it to add a little more cushion.

Here's a few pics of the axe I got to give to my brother for Christmas. He has a POS Chinese hatchet at his cabin that I can't stand...

What do you guys think of these Stihl axes? This one is the universal Forestry/Felling axe. Got it for $39 bucks. Feels like it'll be great for kindling and light splitting.

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

Back