Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0639.JPG Initial impressions. I like it It is comfortable to swing and hits solid even when my swing wasn't 100% true. Would have preferred a larger diameter handle but still had a good grip

I'd never noticed the "6" on this axe until this afternoon.

Does anyone chop with an axe this big or just split?
View attachment 605790

That is a biggun', looks like a Dayton pattern - definitely a solid piece!

I know I've posted this before, but this German Spaltaxt is just the bees knees. Was moving last season's wood to dry storage and decided to do some splitting. The handle is much shorter than what I've used before (28"), but I really like it and feels like my strikes are more precise and tactile.
0DKBvWY.jpg

Did roughly a face cord in a leisurely 2 hours while jamming out to some Bluegrass on the stereo. Only had to noodle one particularly gnarly round cut near a stump. Wood is a mix of Black Cherry, White Oak, White Ash, and Black Walnut. All of it was felled and sawn this year early srping and summer.
9itRryz.jpg

Still anxiously awaiting the X-25 and the flagpole I ordered on Sunday.

Good old Amazon has changed the rules on shipping. They still do 2 and 3 day shipping, however they do not guarantee how long it will take them to actually drop the items off at the shipping company. Sneaky Sneaky...

Still anxiously awaiting the X-25 and the flagpole I ordered on Sunday.

Good old Amazon has changed the rules on shipping. They still do 2 and 3 day shipping, however they do not guarantee how long it will take them to actually drop the items off at the shipping company. Sneaky Sneaky...
I bought the x-25 before the x27 because it was biggest one they had at the time ,handle being shorter does not seem to pop the wood as easy for me ,the x-25 i have just sits now,maybe a shorter person it may work better ?
I do have a swedish 4 1/2 lb axe coming to try out ,could not find anyone in the states that had one so had to order from Canada .

That is a biggun', looks like a Dayton pattern - definitely a solid piece!

I know I've posted this before, but this German Spaltaxt is just the bees knees. Was moving last season's wood to dry storage and decided to do some splitting. The handle is much shorter than what I've used before (28"), but I really like it and feels like my strikes are more precise and tactile.
0DKBvWY.jpg

Did roughly a face cord in a leisurely 2 hours while jamming out to some Bluegrass on the stereo. Only had to noodle one particularly gnarly round cut near a stump. Wood is a mix of Black Cherry, White Oak, White Ash, and Black Walnut. All of it was felled and sawn this year early srping and summer.
9itRryz.jpg
That shape looks like will split real well without getting stuck .

I bought the x-25 before the x27 because it was biggest one they had at the time ,handle being shorter does not seem to pop the wood as easy for me ,the x-25 i have just sits now,maybe a shorter person it may work better ?
I do have a swedish 4 1/2 lb axe coming to try out ,could not find anyone in the states that had one so had to order from Canada .
I'm thinking it will be nice for lighter splitting duties but we shall see. It's a cheap test anyhow.

That shape looks like will split real well without getting stuck .
Most of the time, yes, but on big rounds that have been sitting, or anything with a twisted grain or gnarly knots it'll still stick like anything else. Easy enough extract with the ol' palm push, but if the round or piece is light enough to lift overhead, I'll just invert it and slam the log into the bit by swinging the poll end onto the chopping block which usually takes care of un-sticking it and and splitting the piece.

I had a similar design by Truper that was drop forged in Mexico from inferior steel but was on a 36" poly haft. This one is by Helko, is better steel that holds and edge better and appears to be hammer forged; however, it has only a 28" haft and the head is a few ounces heavier to boot. I'm 6'1", so the shorter handle took a little getting used to, but now I really like it and shorter hafts all together. All of that being said, my favorite way to split is when the wood is frozen, ha ha

Most of the time, yes, but on big rounds that have been sitting, or anything with a twisted grain or gnarly knots it'll still stick like anything else. Easy enough extract with the ol' palm push, but if the round or piece is light enough to lift overhead, I'll just invert it and slam the log into the bit by swinging the poll end onto the chopping block which usually takes care of un-sticking it and and splitting the piece.

I had a similar design by Truper that was drop forged in Mexico from inferior steel but was on a 36" poly haft. This one is by Helko, is better steel that holds and edge better and appears to be hammer forged; however, it has only a 28" haft and the head is a few ounces heavier to boot. I'm 6'1", so the shorter handle took a little getting used to, but now I really like it and shorter hafts all together. All of that being said, my favorite way to split is when the wood is frozen, ha ha
I like a longer handle also, like a 36 ,i have a hb arvika coming it has a 32 , hope its long enough for the 4.5 lb head

I'm thinking it will be nice for lighter splitting duties but we shall see. It's a cheap test anyhow.

That's exactly why I bought the x17 and I have been stunned at its effectiveness. It is very capable, feels much much lighter and less tiring to swing and although it doesn't have the oomph for twisted grain stuff it breezes through straighter stuff virtually regardless of size. To me the shorter handle feels stiffer, if I overstrike I really feel it, but the stiff handle feels like it's transferring the energy very 'directly' and it pops the wood apart. After my shin incident I've been using our crouched, so any deflections and it hits dirt. If I had the confidence/accuracy with it to use a tall block, and swing as hard as I liked, it would be doing a remarkable percentage of my splitting.

Received the X-25 today.

I was surprised to see that it has the same exact head as the X-27. For some reason I thought the X-25 head was similar but smaller and lighter, but was wrong in that assumption.

As you can see, my X-27 has seen some use and abuse over the past 4 years. It was my go-to splitting tool until I purchased a Husky S2800 which frankly works better although takes a little more attention due to the short handle.

IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG IMG_0085.JPG

A big birch on my driveway recently lost half of it's crown in a wind storm. I'll dump that in the next few days and run these head to head.

Received the X-25 today.

I was surprised to see that it has the same exact head as the X-27. For some reason I thought the X-25 head was similar but smaller and lighter, but was wrong in that assumption.
That has changed through the years - see my photos in this thread from 6 years ago:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-28-and-36-side-by-side-comparison.170817/
It appears to be an on-going evolution.

Philbert

(P.S. - yours are also missing the wood veneer on the handle!)

Latest posts

Back