Splitting day today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bore_pig

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Borrowed a splitter from a guy at work. Sure can get a lot done! Why though, does it seem like 4 times the work when I do it by myself instead of with a helper???:givebeer:

I better get back at it. Pics to come later!:cheers:

Borrowed a splitter from a guy at work. Sure can get a lot done! Why though, does it seem like 4 times the work when I do it by myself instead of with a helper???:givebeer:

I better get back at it. Pics to come later!:cheers:
Two guys can split three times (perhaps not four times) as fast as one guy working by himself. It's called specialization of labor. The guy running the splitter can concentrate on that. The helper can bring the big rounds to him so that the splitter operator does not have to move and can concentrate on his job. Also the helper can remove the splits and toss them to the pile and even load up the truck or trailer with split wood.

The helper can also help hold the position of the big log while the ram makes contact. Finally, the helper can also offer his opinion of log position when you hit a bearcat that stalls out the splitter.

Then of course, there is a "high tech" reason. When one of the two gets a phone call, the other can take over. That means effective production will stall out immediately while the phone call is in progress. Sorry guys, but when you are splitting firewood, ALL phone calls should be screened. That's MHO.

Three people makes it a lot better than two. When I'm able to get both of my sons to help me I have one load and the other carry off split rounds. I do the hard job of using the lever. :hmm3grin2orange:

I would rather split by my self than with a helper. The old body doesn't like doing the limited repetitious movements of that scenario. Doing it by my self entails more range of motion activities and doesn't make it seem like assembly line work.

Swapping jobs with the other person helps, but I enjoy doing it myself more.

Maybe next year my daughter will be able to throw rounds. She'll be almost 2 then!

So much more gets done with 2 guys. Not complaining though! Here's what I managed to get done. Best I could do considering everything else that was going on today.

P8160031.jpg

P8160030.jpg

looks good man nice job. i did some today myself i got about 4 full lawn tractor loads split and stacked.

i always end up doiung it all solo, well 2 years ago a buddy brrought his old splitter down before i bought mine. we split all day and into the night ended up using a flashlight lol. but we got a TON of wood split that day. no way i coulda done that in 2 days by myself. his splitter was old and didnt have auto return or 2 forward speeds either but with 2 guys you can make em go pretty good.

Here's how I relax after a day of work like this on my own.

P8160039.jpg

P8160040.jpg

P8160041.jpg

P8160042.jpg

Makes for a good day!
Cool set up you have for keeping the wood of the ground I use pallets but find they rot out after 3or 4 years. Deep Woods off I see in the background? I wont comment on the B-light and wine cooler lol!
Nice pics! but think I am outa rep?

I can get the wife to bring a beer, but she doesn't like to mix the drinks for me!

In my own defense, I have to say that's not a wine cooler. It's berry flavored beer.(Not far from a wine cooler.) :dizzy: Who am I kidding, it might as well be a wine cooler! :ices_rofl:

I have no idea where the hotdog holder came from. Got it from the inlaws.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Spent yesterday splitting, no pics though. Got more to do, I better get at it.:cheers:

Back