Splitting some big rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
anymore on big ens.... instead of wrestling around 3ft+ x 2ft rounds.
064 w/square chain comes out and slices into quarters.

learned this tactic from a retiring wood processor. No heroics.. he said. cut em down to size.

My preferred method also. My log splitter splits something like 10 to 20% of the wood I do. Enjoy using the 660 more often vs a wrestling match with the big stuff. Monster maul does the bulk of the actual splitting. Sticky, stringy, and sometimes knotty wood the splitter gets the nod.

BlackCatBone

BlackCatBone

ArboristSite Guru
Since I don't have a splitter, I use a bit of a hybrid method. I cut a criss-cross pattern a couple inches deep on the face, then use a maul to peel the pieces off from the edge. It almost makes no difference how large the round is with this method provided that you have a decent aim with the maul.

I too love the big stuff. Lots of good perfectly sized dense chunks waiting for those extra cold nights. :cheers:

Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
I don't mind the big stuff either. It's usually what you find left behind also, so you learn too deal with it. Most people without splitters will leave it. If I can get it on the truck, I take it home! :clap: Verticle split into quarters and stash too season till the next spring. Nice pix Skid Row :cheers: Wood Hoe, I love it!

mudguts

mudguts

ArboristSite Operative
We've been using the fork lift on the big rounds. Pickem up, set em on the splitter, split, pickem up, back em off rollem and do it again until easy enough to handle with our hands. Your woodtray skid row looks like a handy unit.
:cheers:

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Since I don't have a splitter, I use a bit of a hybrid method. I cut a criss-cross pattern a couple inches deep on the face, then use a maul to peel the pieces off from the edge. It almost makes no difference how large the round is with this method provided that you have a decent aim with the maul.

I too love the big stuff. Lots of good perfectly sized dense chunks waiting for those extra cold nights. :cheers:

Ditto here. We only need to process 6 cords for family heating, so it would take a while for the investment in a splitter - even a used one - to pay off. So we do it the old fashioned way. If I'm rugged enough to get something over the threshold of my tailgate, on it goes.

There's something in the physics of wood that makes splotting a round so much easier once the bark is broken - even if it's just a teeny section.

Enjoyed the videos and pics. Quite the spectacle to see sections that massive yield to such power so readily!:bowdown: