Splitting wood with an ax.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullCry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't have an auto splitter, so I split it with an ax. This is just for personal use so I don't mind and it's good exercise. I have found this tool called a True Temper 4lb. super splitter which has a head like a maul but you swing it like an ax. Has anyone ever seen one of these or ever used one like it? I also have to use a wedge and sledge at times. Thanks for any replies or tips on splitting. FullCry

Can you post a picture? I have a splitter, but also split a lot with the maul, frozen oak splits nice with the maul, and like you said its decent excersize. Walkers or Black and tan??

Walkers or Black and tan??

There is only Walkers and Blueticks in my book that are good hounds. :)

Black and tans are slow, ran Walker hounds (not treeing walker) for coyote. Won quite a few comps with the few I had. Still have one at home that is a couch potato now.

If you really want a good splitting axe, look at the Fiskars. They are light weight, and you will be pleasantly surprised at the ease of splitting.

:cheers:

I don't have an auto splitter, so I split it with an ax. This is just for personal use so I don't mind and it's good exercise. I have found this tool called a True Temper 4lb. super splitter which has a head like a maul but you swing it like an ax. Has anyone ever seen one of these or ever used one like it? I also have to use a wedge and sledge at times. Thanks for any replies or tips on splitting. FullCry

I had one--hated it!!!!

It rarely split the round on the first whack and then the head would get stuck something fierce!! I took it back and bought the Fiskars Super splitting axe--best splitting tool I've ever used!!!

NP

I use a double-bit axe, mostly because when I moved to the mntns years ago and began burning wood, that's what I picked up. I really like it. The double bit seems very balanced to me, but it is probably no better at splitting than a single-bit axe.... Some rounds that I couldn't get split with the axe I would set aside and eventually cut up with the chainsaw. However, a few yr. ago I broke down and bought a maul. Now I use both the axe and maul, the latter for those rounds I can't do with the axe. Of course, there are still the occasional ones I cut with the saw. I have nothing against a powered splitter except that I don't have the money to buy one and might not for a long time. I am not a purist with the hand stuff, though it is good exercise and is pretty quick if you do it right.

Latest posts

Back