Spotted the Truck...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thought I'd update regarding my quest to learn more about arborist work by observing some climbers in action. I was driving down my street and spotted a truck...with a boom thing on top...and I thought, "Hmmm, that's either the electric company utility truck, or...it's a tree service truck!" Then I really got my hopes up when I saw several cones in the street near the back of the truck.

As I approached, my eyes were set on the driver's door to read the lettering: A tree service! They apparently had just arrived.

BUT...it was 9:35 am and I had a 10 am appointment. I talked to them for a minute and they said they were going to do some trimming. I proceeded on, hoping my 10 am appointment wouldn't show.

And lo and behold, the appointment didn't show! I waited 15 minutes, she never called, and I headed back home. By the time I arrived, the three men were already in the big tree, pruning away. Shucks, I missed the part where they throw the lines up and climb up. But the one guy said that you just pull yourself up on the rope with feet on the trunk. I asked how do 240-pound climbers do it, with all their extra body weight? He said the rope can be rigged to "double" one's climb-pull strength. I learned something!

One of the guys was just hanging there in his saddle, comfy as a clam, clipping away above the roof of the house. Then he yanked himself up, pulling on the ropes---the same motion of gym pulley rows (which I do very furiously at the gym, so I know I'd have no trouble at all maneuvering about in an tree if I were trained to do so). And he hoisted himself up on a branch and stood on it to resume trimming...

But I still have a lot to learn because I had to leave after 15 minutes.

You have got to find some one to get you in a tree. Love the learning curves that go with new and exciting activites. Good luck!

frashdog said:
You have got to find some one to get you in a tree. Love the learning curves that go with new and exciting activites. Good luck!

Lorra, there is a Tree Climbers International (TCI) recreational tree climbing rendezvous in Jackson, Mississippi October 4-8. I have not been to one yet, but I plan to attend this one. I expect people there will be using every imaginable tree climbing technique. It sounds like what you saw is what we call DdRT, Doubled Rope [Dynamic] Technique. Commonly used by arborists and recreational tree climbers alike.

I dont know what you do for a living or what your family constraints are, but if you can get a little vacation time and make that rendezvous I am sure it will be an excellent opportunity to see, and do, Tree Climbing to your hearts content. Check out http://www.tci-forums.com/viewthread.php?tid=765 or, if the url does not post, PM me and I'll see that you get the details.

You must!

Great to hear Lorra!

Do get along to a rec climb event or such it is an amazing thing being in a tree...:angel:

RCT certification class

There is a class out here that offers RTC certification, for $450. I'm still thinking about that. $450 ??

Lorra said:
There is a class out here that offers RTC certification, for $450. I'm still thinking about that. $450 ??

Give them a call and talk to them. Maybe you can "Audit" the class, or just go and watch, to get a better idea of whether or not it is worth the bucks.

Lorra said:
we did a two dayer here in nyc but it was like 180. rtc cert is a new one to me as well. btw plenty o tree people will train you for free everybody likes a goodlooking woman on the site;)

Back