springboard notch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
anyone got any pics of a springboard notch?

i just started practicing( well, trying and failing, rather), springboard
notches today

got one in my hackberry stump
i think i'll leave it there
show that tree what's up

anchored it in with a wooden shim

First, I have to say this...if you can avoid using a springboard, you're better off. The notch has to be deep enough that the spikes (or whatever you're using) can get a firm bite on the wood and not let the board move too much.
The tricky part is when the tree lets go and you and your saw have to get off that board real quick. If theres enough butt swell or whatever to require a springboard you're going to be up pretty high. Once you're up on that board you have to do everything right...face cut, back cut, wedging, the whole deal, and then get yourself down and clear. No second chances or do-overs.

Only got a picture of the stump monster. There's only old stumps with springboard notches around here. I've never seen anyone use a springboard other than at competitions. The notches left in stumps gotta be from the
50s, maybe 60s. There are lots of the old stumps around yet. As posted previously:

Almost all of the old redwood stumps have nothes in them. On the rare occassion I work on a tree with a huge butt swell but I just make a vertical and a horizontal cut and saw off the swell. I've always wanted use a spring board and the shoe lookseasy to make but it would probably be years before I got to use it. Heck I rarely wear corks.

I would love to have one of those old stumps for a lawn ornament... I also have wanted to try out a springboard - just cuz' I guess, no need for one here other than competition.
Anyone know where in the heck I can find them or the shoe and bit to make my own.

They are all over around here but you'd have a hard time getting one to the road. Plus, that one is on federal land so you couldn't get one without a permit. Unfortunately, I think a faller cut that one off, it was in the way.

I would love to have one of those old stumps for a lawn ornament... I also have wanted to try out a springboard - just cuz' I guess, no need for one here other than competition.
Anyone know where in the heck I can find them or the shoe and bit to make my own.

You must have a big lawn! :) If I brought a stump home I'd be sleeping on the lawn. She Who Must Be Obeyed would not see the value of an old stump. At least I have a redwood tree in the back yard.

You must have a big lawn! :) If I brought a stump home I'd be sleeping on the lawn. She Who Must Be Obeyed would not see the value of an old stump. At least I have a redwood tree in the back yard.

LMAO :cheers: You just might be on to something there,2dogs. Winter work,by golly. You can go out in the cut-over ground and yard out big old -growth stumps and sell 'em on EBay! Might develop a market for all those people back east that want unique lawn decorations. Might start a trend.

But how will you get them out? A D-8? A D-7 has problems with ours. Cut them? Helicopter them? Dig them? Hmmmm must use duct tape somehow.
I can picture little ceramic gnomes on top of the stumps. :)

OK let me back up a bit. Redwood stumps can be very valuable for the burl. It does take a heck of an effort to get the stump out and then wash it and then mill it. I have not done this personally but I have been in on parts of the operation. None the less I would be talking with a higher voice if I brought home 2 tons of stump and dropped it on the front lawn. I could try wrapping the whole thing in duck tape and calling it a Hersey's Kiss but my wife would find out soon I was lying.

Now I forgot what the hell the topic was about. The use of duck tape in stump removal? Something like that.

OK let me back up a bit. Redwood stumps can be very valuable for the burl. It does take a heck of an effort to get the stump out and then wash it and then mill it. I have not done this personally but I have been in on parts of the operation. None the less I would be talking with a higher voice if I brought home 2 tons of stump and dropped it on the front lawn. I could try wrapping the whole thing in duck tape and calling it a Hersey's Kiss but my wife would find out soon I was lying.

Now I forgot what the hell the topic was about. The use of duck tape in stump removal? Something like that.

No problem...it's probably a lousy idea anyway. One winter when logging was slow,in a fit of temporary insanity, I helped a guy pull black walnut stumps and cut burls and blanks for gunstocks and whatever. Kinda strained my D-7 a little. None of them would have qualified as lawn ornaments, even wrapped in duct tape.
And my wife didn't like the room they took up in what was normally her horse pasture...that was the real clincher.

are you using spring board for comperition ( timbersports) or for work ?

if its for work then have another experienced faller/ logger who has used them show you spring boards are very dangerous if not used correctly

the notch for a spring board must be deep and narrow if its too wide the board will not sit correctly or the hook will not set

But how will you get them out? A D-8? A D-7 has problems with ours. Cut them? Helicopter them? Dig them? Hmmmm must use duct tape somehow.
I can picture little ceramic gnomes on top of the stumps. :)

LOL...I don't have to worry about it because I'm not going to do it. Just presenting an idea for consideration. This is a job for somebody with a size 17 collar and a size 3 hat. (Nothing personal, 2dogs, no offense meant) Somebody with more spare time than good sense.
You could use duct tape to patch the holes in your gloves from the choker jaggers.
And...little ceramic gnomes are kinda tacky but they're probably better than pink flamingoes. Or those little plywood cut-outs of cows and pigs that serve as urine collectors for all the local dogs.

Last edited:
LOL...I don't have to worry about it because I'm not going to do it. Just presenting an idea for consideration. This is a job for somebody with a size 17 collar and a size 3 hat. (Nothing personal, 2dogs, no offense meant) Somebody with more spare time than good sense.
You could use duct tape to patch the holes in your gloves from the choker jaggers.
And...little ceramic gnomes are kinda tacky but they're probably better than pink flamingoes. Or those little plywood cut-outs of cows and pigs that serve as urine collectors for all the local dogs.

Hey I resemble that remark!

I am straight up tree trash... a big old stump taking up yard space with little knome's and pink flamingo's on it would be great, I would park my stump grinder next to it. I think my kids would take sides with me on that, the wife is out of luck.

Now back to the spring board idea. Where can one find these?

I have a smaller stump in my yard and I think of it as semipermanent lawn furniture. Works well as a table, except now there's ants in it so maybe I'll duct tape up the holes.

I am straight up tree trash... a big old stump taking up yard space with little knome's and pink flamingo's on it would be great, I would park my stump grinder next to it. I think my kids would take sides with me on that, the wife is out of luck.

Now back to the spring board idea. Where can one find these?

If you want a spring board you'll probably have to make your own. Look in some of the old logging history books for some examples or maybe somebody can post some pictures of one.
You'll need a fastener of some kind on the end that goes into the stump. Some guys used a "shoe"...kind of a metal cap that
fits over the end of the board with a sharp lip bent at an angle to grab into the wood. I saw a faller make one one day just by driving a couple of big nails into the end of the board and leaving the sharp ends sticking out a little bit. Kinda wobbly but he got the job done. He swore never again, though. We won't mention any names.
Whatever you wind up doing just remember that being up on the board is the easy part...doing your work while you're up there and getting clear safely is the hard part. Good luck and have fun.

I have a smaller stump in my yard and I think of it as semipermanent lawn furniture. Works well as a table, except now there's ants in it so maybe I'll duct tape up the holes.

I'll bet you're easy to shop for on birthday and Christmas..."One case of duct tape in various colors, please". Happy New Year.

Latest posts

Back