Sprocket pitch ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN woodcutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got a new MS260, and I'm going to the saw shop to pick up a new B&C (I think I'm going with an 18"). My question is, how do I tell the pitch and teeth count with just having the power head? Is their a way I can run the serial number to determine that info? Thanks!

If the shop is a Stihl dealer, then they'll have the Stihl bar and chain catalog which shows recommended pitch and gauge combinations along with drive link counts for common modern Stihl models.
Your 260 for instance, is usually set up with .375" pitch (3/8") and .050" gauge chain, and an 18" bar would use 66 drive links.

You can also get bar and chain information at www.baileysonline.com.

He's not a Stihl dealer. He's a work/mod shop . I was mainly asking how I can tell on the sprocket what pitch and tooth count it is.

if you got it without the bar and chain (sounds like this is the case), the rim on a sprocket rim combo will give you the pitch, the gauge doesn't matter for the sprocket on this size saw
if it is a clutch drum style one piece sprocket you may have to clean the surface well to read the marking
In any case the shop should be able to sell you a rim/bar/chain appropriate to your saw even if the current rim is unmarked.
Follow Jacob j's advice and check out your options online ahead of time to see what works well with your saw so you don't get sold the special of the week by the dealer.

He's not a Stihl dealer. He's a work/mod shop . I was mainly asking how I can tell on the sprocket what pitch and tooth count it is.

If it is a rim sprocket, that info usually is right on the rim, on one of the sides. Post everything you can read there if you are unsure what it means.

Edit; I see I was a bit late with that info...

If the shop is a Stihl dealer, then they'll have the Stihl bar and chain catalog which shows recommended pitch and gauge combinations along with drive link counts for common modern Stihl models.
Your 260 for instance, is usually set up with .375" pitch (3/8") and .050" gauge chain, and an 18" bar would use 66 drive links.

You can also get bar and chain information at www.baileysonline.com.

I would say that outside the PNW, .325 is much more common than 3/8" on that saw model.

Up here in Indiana, the common setup for an 026 or MS260 is, indeed, .325 pitch chain in .063 gauge. All of the MS260's and 290's I see come through my shop are set up that way. Most of the 260's have 18" bars and run a .325 pitch, .063 gauge 74 drive link chain. The majority of the 290's have 20 inch bars and run .325 pitch, .o63 gauge 81 drive link chains. I think Pioneerguy600 is spot on about the hardwoods we have up here. I cut lots of white oak, red oak, hickory, ash, and hard maple. The smaller cutters on the .325 chain seem to cut a bit smoother on these woods by producing smaller chips at a faster rate (more cutters). If I were cutting softer woods such as pine, poplar, etc, I would consider switching to 3/8 pitch full size chains.

Latest posts

Back