sprocket spring clip removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure the clip is turned the right way when installed. The e-clips are punched out in a punch press and will have a crisp edge on one side and a rounded edge on the other side. Make sure the crisp edge is facing outward. This will let it hold more securely to the groove in the crankshaft, and it will slip past the recess in the washer more readily when prying it off.

Yup. There have been a few destroyed clutches on Stihls out here from people putting clips on the wrong way round and then having them come off.

$1990 were i am but you can pick em up around $1550 with a cash back deal thats happening at the moment.

AUD$1490 here :cheers: or about USD$1180.

Last edited:
I don't have an 066, but on my other inboard clutch saws I just push on it with a left hand fingertip, while prying it loose with a "carb" screwdriver in my right hand. I keep several spares handy, but never needed any of them...

:agree2:

Yup. There have been a few destroyed clutches on Stihls out here from people putting clips on the wrong way round and then having them come off.

aint done a clutch yet but this 880 was very hard on clips, new one each sprocket change or she spits it off, until i found the retaining washer was slightly imperfect, now no trouble at all.

Back