Spruce watering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris: 200 miles often makes a huge difference in the type of flora you encounter. Meteorology is all about numbers and measurements, and you seem to be afflicted by the notion that similar average temperature & precipitation are equal to the same botanical considerations. They aren't.

Take an area that I am more familiar with: Kansas City.

Go East 200 miles, no significant change in flora that I am aware of.
Go North 200 miles; plant varieties are similar, but the size of most trees are reduced. Much fewer oaks in native stands.
Go South 200 miles: the native forests are entirely different, with the forests consisting of almost entirely oak trees.
Go West: you might as well go 500 miles away. Hardly any trees, and the varieties present are different.

Do you see my point, or are you going to give me another seminar on meteorology?

BTW: you never answered my last question, despite your long answer.

Last edited:
Doesn't that say everything? How can you argue that the climate is different in the same breath that you are saying they are the same?

Not the same, *similar*...as for botanical implications, that's probably something best answered by a horticulturalist. ;)

Last edited:
Months ago we planted approx 20 white spruce and a few norway spruce in our Ohio yard. The weather here has been dry so I am wondering how often and how much water I should be using to water these trees. A couple weeks ago I noticed a couple of these white spruce have what appears to be dried up lower branches without needles and the upper limbs have needles that fall off to the touch. I recently have been watering every two or three days applying maybe 45-60 seconds worth of water with a hose to each tree. Please give me some advise.

Christmas tree farms - Ohio

http://www.google.com/search?q=chri...ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA_en

It can be done. Still would like to see pictures of your tree plantings.

You might be drowning the trees, watering so often, in a clay soil.

Grab a handfull of soil at root ball of spruce and squeeze. If it is wet, don't water. If dry, water. ;-)

Northern IL has been getting rain, every week.....and then some.

More pics, and we can really help you. :cool:

:cheers:

Hmmm, you bring up something I've always wondered - what would the average "Christmas tree farm" charge me (on average, regardless of State/location) to dig up a medium-sized Spruce (let's say 5-7' tall) for planting purposes? Would be a great potential alternative to nurseries that charge in excess of $200 for a medium-sized balled and burlapped Spruce tree...

Tons of Spruce in Western NY, shouldn't be much of a problem for them there. What a PIA, if I had to water any trees or shrubs after the first couple years , good riddance to them. Survival of the fittest!

Hmmm, you bring up something I've always wondered - what would the average "Christmas tree farm" charge me (on average, regardless of State/location) to dig up a medium-sized Spruce (let's say 5-7' tall) for planting purposes? Would be a great potential alternative to nurseries that charge in excess of $200 for a medium-sized balled and burlapped Spruce tree...

They would want approx the same as they charge to cut one down.

They also have the additional expense of filling in the open hole.....Something they don't want when the masses are running through the fields looking for the perfect tree. But am sure you both can figure something out, just ask around.

As far as original posters lower branches browning....this can happen during the digging phase...Tieing up the spruce to be dug....Some can tie them up to tight and damage the lower branches. Or the twine is too small of a diameter and cuts / slices deep into the branches when giving the final tugs to pull up the branches so a small ball can be dug.

:cry:

Tons of Spruce in Western NY, shouldn't be much of a problem for them there. What a PIA, if I had to water any trees or shrubs after the first couple years , good riddance to them. Survival of the fittest!

I agree, unless it's a prized specimen tree not native to the area, and it's within "hose-reach", it's on its own 3 years after planting. My house was only built 3 years ago (which I general contracted), so none of my trees are beyond the 3rd year mark yet. I'm hoping next year, as long as we're not in some sort of severe drought, that I won't have to worry about watering any of my trees any more...

brnchbrkr - thanks for the info, I will call around to some of the local Christmas tree farms to get rates, could use a couple of larger ones on the Western side of my property, but I'll wait until Fall dormancy before bothering with the process, hopefully the ground doesn't freeze up too quick this year or my plans pretty much go out the window.

Last edited:
I agree, unless it's a prized specimen tree not native to the area, and it's within "hose-reach", it's on its own 3 years after planting. My house was only built 3 years ago (which I general contracted), so none of my trees are beyond the 3rd year mark yet. I'm hoping next year, as long as we're not in some sort of severe drought, that I won't have to worry about watering any of my trees any more...

brnchbrkr - thanks for the info, I will call around to some of the local Christmas tree farms to get rates, could use a couple of larger ones on the Western side of my property, but I'll wait until Fall dormancy before bothering with the process, hopefully the ground doesn't freeze up too quick this year or my plans pretty much go out the window.

Tough Luck Acres!

;-)

Think of watering trees in a drought. Let the grass go dormant, it will come back.

Do not let Winter Planting detour you. Think ahead of killer frost. Lay down a bed of STRAW larger than the hole diameter your going to dig. This should also be done around tree to be transplanted. This lets the ground stay soft till your ready to dig. Then put as much dirt back in to pack it in and cover up with straw and WATER well. Repeat the watering in a couple of weeks.

NOTE: Heavy snows will keep frost from settling in...

Hey gang,

Some of these Spruce have developed a bunch of "pine cones" on them, alot of which are on the top and hang the tip over. My wife wants to remove these, is it a good idea to do so? Any negatives or benefits to removing them?

Back