Stacking Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But branchbuzzer, I need those “training poles”… but they ain’t there for stackin’ purposes.

Ya’ see, I’m using old vinyl siding as a moisture barrier under them there stacks… and that stuff is slipperier than greased-owl-shat. Without them there “training poles” the bottom row blows out like they was on roller skates when my drunk azz runs into the stacks with the grass cuttin’ machine.

Now, as far as ‘movin’ a burning wood stove with my bare forearms’… Would it be OK if’n I switch from beer to whiskey a couple hours before I do that?

But branchbuzzer, I need those “training poles”… but they ain’t there for stackin’ purposes.

Ya’ see, I’m using old vinyl siding as a moisture barrier under them there stacks… and that stuff is slipperier than greased-owl-shat. Without them there “training poles” the bottom row blows out like they was on roller skates when my drunk azz runs into the stacks with the grass cuttin’ machine.

Now, as far as ‘movin’ a burning wood stove with my bare forearms’… Would it be OK if’n I switch from beer to whiskey a couple hours before I do that?

I think you just get to go outside and fall down in the snow to cool off. Wait a second....where did you get that alcohol!

[video=youtube;-h2GOmeHouw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h2GOmeHouw&feature=related[/video]

That's teh drawaback to using a power splitter. One builds a big stack in a hurry and then you have to do nothing but stack for awhile. I like manual splitting and stack as I finish each round. Yes, I don't put out a lot of production but the time spent is fun time.

The worst part of stacking is when I have to drag out the splitter and work up the pile of "manual splitting rejects' - knots, crotches, etc. That not only produces a big pile of "to be stacked" each and every piece is an "ugly" that won't stack well.

Harry K

I hate stacking. Even with the work tunes on it's drudgery, and I think about other stuff that needs doing instead.

+1 on the autostacker!

I like giant piles.:hmm3grin2orange:
Too bad they suck for seasoning.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep, when it is time to stack that pile of wood, I always feel like a kid waiting to get a spanking. Such drudgery! As said earlier, if I was the end user it wouldn't be so bad, but all of these stacks are being sold so it is a never ending job. Like Barthelomew's Hats!

Ted

i don't mind the splitting and stacking. i'm with the "good tunes and cold beer crowd". my old splitter is kinda slow but it allows me to "customize" my splits so the stacks are neat and clean. I split and then stack each piece. keep a fire going in the burn ring for the splittin' trash if the wind isn't blowin' my way.

a couple of the places i cut i take the splitter w/me, then i find myself burning a hunk or two of my firewood i as i stack off the truck..i know, i know,, i try to justify my burning the wood i just brought home so i can see how close it is to being "ready".

the wife doesn't know the the difference, and it affords me the opportunity to see how close my next beer is to being "ready".

If I were to become a big time firewood seller, my plan would involve 8' steel racks to stack wood on, and a truck like this:

attachment.php

For $25K you've got a lot more truck than the average 1 tonner, a dump box for bulk hauling, and a crane that reaches 30' to set off racks of wood that are already stacked. Build a little all terrain pallet jack, and you can have a neatly stacked delivery done in a hurry. Of course, this would be a premium service, and probably a deposit on the rack as well.

Found the truck here: USED 1997 FORD Boom Truck F800 for sale at Equipment Ready if anyone's interested.

"As said earlier, if I was the end user it wouldn't be so bad, but all of these stacks are being sold so it is a never ending job. Like Barthelomew's Hats!"

Ted

I was thinking about your past pictures and your quote last night. I can relate to the feeling. In the past I would cut, split and load the trailer, then take if from the trailer and stack it on a pile and later when it's sold I'd load it in the truck and maybe stack it for the customer. Selling wood is a lot different than doing it for your own use. We might get 15 cords of wood at our leisure during the summer and we have a good time doing it. But like you said, I’m not selling it. I don’t envy anyone who cuts and sells firewood. Been There; Done That… Not Fun!!

If I were to become a big time firewood seller, my plan would involve 8' steel racks to stack wood on, and a truck like this:

attachment.php

For $25K you've got a lot more truck than the average 1 tonner, a dump box for bulk hauling, and a crane that reaches 30' to set off racks of wood that are already stacked. Build a little all terrain pallet jack, and you can have a neatly stacked delivery done in a hurry. Of course, this would be a premium service, and probably a deposit on the rack as well.

Found the truck here: USED 1997 FORD Boom Truck F800 for sale at Equipment Ready if anyone's interested.

These trucks work great for loading logs before processing too!

Don't mind stacking at all. My setup is dictated by property layout. I get all the wood I can and pile/stack rounds in the driveway at the side of the house. My stacks are in the back of the back yard where the sun is best. So I get all the rounds I can, then every morning I split by hand, schlep to a wheelbarrow, then wheel to the stacks and stack. I usually do four or five wheelbarrows, usually takes an hour. That's my morning constitutional, and I get grumpy if something interferes and I don't get it in. I kind of have to make myself spread it out or I run out of rounds to split too soon.

Here is an example. Week before last, I cut, split and stacked 6 full cords. This week I cut, split and stacked 5 cords, and loaded one on the trailer for delivery this morning. After all that work, I still only have 1 and 2/3 cord stacked. All the rest are sold and gone. See? Never ending! The wood has to be stacked prior to selling so that I know, and the customer knows, they are indeed getting what they paid for.

Hate stacking!!

Ted

Hey Ted! I have the perfect solution to your stacking wood woes...Go get that chick who posed for your avatar pic and tell her to do it!!! Obviously she knows how to get "things" stacked or I bet she wouldn't be there!

Hey Ted! I have the perfect solution to your stacking wood woes...Go get that chick who posed for your avatar pic and tell her to do it!!! Obviously she knows how to get "things" stacked or I bet she wouldn't be there!

IF they're real, maybe she contracted out that stack job....:hmm3grin2orange:

Add me to the hate stacking crowd. I had 4 cords knocked over last summer when a large silver maple branch fell on them and I still haven't got it restacked.

That's why I bought an Oslo. At 22" splits, less pieces I need to deal with.

But I make up for it with my 6' tall stacks of 14" wood for my Morso. :msp_angry:

The Joy of Stacking

Herr Professor here to enlighten the disturbed.

It's a Grasshopper thing you know. Think Zen: internal development through mindless "chores".

Following the excitement of felling, the odor of 2 cycle in the morning, the heft of a newly sharpened chain eating through dense Oak, muscles hardened from humping 150 lb butts into the trailer, lifting the butts once again to toughened body onto the 49 Ton Super Splitter, what we have remaining is the mindless ease and tedium of stacking. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Now stacking fulfills all of your dreams. You do have the result of neatly assembling your winter's warmth in sight of all. The result is satisfaction of your O.C.D. WoodPiles. There you will find year-round an inner peace and joy to sneak out of the shelter and snort, gaze, huddle with those wondrous stacks.

Stacking is silent: you may develop thought of further enlightenment Ted, of bliss with your partner ( no, not the chainsaw you idiot ), of the airwaves speaking to you ( Rush or melodious NPR ) without distraction from 2 cycle or engines or danger.

Enjoy Ted et. al. It is a culmination of goodness. You may rep me now. :msp_w00t:

Add me to the hate stacking crowd. I had 4 cords knocked over last summer when a large silver maple branch fell on them and I still haven't got it restacked.

Shoulda claimed that as damage on your homeowners insurance - pain and suffering.

Branchbuzzer's Laws of Firewood, Section 22 Article 13.4 - A pile of splits that was stacked and fell is over is 32% harder to stack than a freshly split pile.

Back