Stacking wood on crushed rock?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once thought crushed rock made a great mulch for my foundation plantings because it would be easy to just move aside if I wanted to add a shrub or some such. When I decided to remove it after a few years I got a dose of reality. All of the spaces between the rock had filled with wind blown dust and the stuff was near impossible to remove. I cannot imagine how much worse it would have been if bits of bark had also fallen to fill those spaces.

I stacked it right on the rock. This little batch won't last past June anyhow. If it was storing long term I'd put something underneath it.

Maybe you could lay a nice piece of corrugated tin over the stack, looks clean and keeps water off the wood and the stone under the stack. I did this with some wood before and when I got to the bottom row the stone was dry.

I stack my wood in my wood shed I use bagged limestone as a base and stack on it , this drains pretty well keeps the wood off the mud and all in all works perfect in my case it looks good too without taking up a bunch of height space like pallets or planks can

I can speak first hand from my experience with this...

I stack my firewood in between my driveway and my fence. I had put down some landscape fabric and covered it with about 6" inches of gravel/pea-gravel. My driveway slopes down into the backyard so that is the way the water drains. Towards the front (higher end) of the stack the wood was fine, but towards the back (lower end) the bottom of the stack held moisture and I did have a scare with termites. I figured the gravel was enough of a barrier from the soil but it was not. I ended up moving about 1.5 cords of wood from that area, burned about 2 wheel barrel loads of the "termite wood" right away in my pit, treated that entire area of gravel with termite concentrate, put down concrete pavers and treated 2x4's on top of those end and middle support pavers, and then re-stacked the next load of wood I cut on top of the 2x4's on top of the pavers. This should really aid in drying, keep those termites away, and also not hold as much moisture between the wood and rocks. The wood was not stacked long enough to rot, but another season and it most likely would have.

I would agree with the suggestion for pallets. At my friend's house we stacked all of his firewood on plastic pallets which I got from work. The 2x4's worked for me as well though.

Fire pit wood rack... been there under the roof eave for two decades.
Four fence posts, couple pieces of angle iron across the bottom (old bed frame), and cut-down stock panel to box in the bottom and sides.
I just pull up to it and start tossin' when it needs refilling, no bother stacking.
Lots of drainage and air circulation (even behind it), and all the crap falls through the bottom where it's easily raked into a scoop shovel when/if needed.
And best of all... my drunk azz don't never need to bend over to reload the fire pit :D

rack.JPG

my firepit wood is stacked on "garbage" sappy pine boughs,

Now I gotta get a firepit :omg:

I also stack some of my firewood on old Pine limbs.
They don't seem to rot very fast and most wood boring insects don't like Pine.
Building a large wood shed this year to hold about 4 cords.
That, along with my under-deck racks that hold about two cords, should be enough for getting a couple years ahead for seasoned wood.
I only burn wood for shoulder seasons and extreme cold spells.
The rest of the Winter the pellet stove does the main heating.
DSCF6849.JPG

Thanks. Still a work in progress.
New garage and woodshed to build. Trailers needs some TLC. Deck needs to be stained (that older deck fascia is now replaced).
And now my lawn tractor back tire has a flat....Man....it never ends!
You should have seen the mess when I moved in though....Yikes!
Inside the house I gutted the living areas of old stinky, foam-back cheap arse carpets, cleaned of all the heavy tobacco yellow-stained walls and nice pine ceilings and cupboards and installed new floors and painted the whole inside.
I had so much bark and old rotten Maple logs on the ground where they "stored" their firewood that the Carpenter ants were everywhere.
So we dug them out and burned it all off....Fire burned for three days straight.
The trees were so overgrown that I don't think anyone had ever maintained them in the 17 years before me. Chimney was also very dirty and full of creosote, not now though.
I cut and pruned for about four days to get some out of power lines and some that just needed to be cut back to be able to walk around and drive the lawn tractor under.
Still a few big ones to fell and some more light pruning this year.
I'm busy here every day but of course I have to take time off for Musky fishing.....always time for that.

Just as a follow up the bottom row of wood was pretty wet in the stacks that weren't covered or in full sun. I'll definitely use pallets or other spacing next time I refill those areas.

We've been burning the fire pit/cooking outdoors almost every night for the past week so I've probably run through a half pickup load of wood. I'll have to hit my black cherry honey hole in a few weeks to refill.

Thanks. Still a work in progress.
New garage and woodshed to build. Trailers needs some TLC. Deck needs to be stained (that older deck fascia is now replaced).
And now my lawn tractor back tire has a flat....Man....it never ends!
You should have seen the mess when I moved in though....Yikes!
Inside the house I gutted the living areas of old stinky, foam-back cheap arse carpets, cleaned of all the heavy tobacco yellow-stained walls and nice pine ceilings and cupboards and installed new floors and painted the whole inside.
I had so much bark and old rotten Maple logs on the ground where they "stored" their firewood that the Carpenter ants were everywhere.
So we dug them out and burned it all off....Fire burned for three days straight.
The trees were so overgrown that I don't think anyone had ever maintained them in the 17 years before me. Chimney was also very dirty and full of creosote, not now though.
I cut and pruned for about four days to get some out of power lines and some that just needed to be cut back to be able to walk around and drive the lawn tractor under.
Still a few big ones to fell and some more light pruning this year.
I'm busy here every day but of course I have to take time off for Musky fishing.....always time for that.

What's the story on the electric meter? I've never seen one that's 10+ ft high from the ground, I'd have to think it's not code legal, nevermind a pain for the meter reader?

Latest posts

Back