Stacking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I used to just stack my wood on pallets at our old house, but I now have a hard time finding good pallets for my use. So I'm thinking of trying 2/4 treated lumber laying on there sides with 4/4 as spacers, 4' on center. Then under each spacer I would place a flat block to support off the ground. What do you guys think? I hate to spend the money on these racks, but I just can't get good pallets and hate spending allot of time trying to find them. Is spacers every 4' enough , or should I space them closer? Thoughts/ suggestions would be appreciated...:popcorn:
Thanks!

I used to just stack my wood on pallets at our old house, but I now have a hard time finding good pallets for my use. So I'm thinking of trying 2/4 treated lumber laying on there sides with 4/4 as spacers, 4' on center. Then under each spacer I would place a flat block to support off the ground. What do you guys think? I hate to spend the money on these racks, but I just can't get good pallets and hate spending allot of time trying to find them. Is spacers every 4' enough , or should I space them closer? Thoughts/ suggestions would be appreciated...:popcorn:
Thanks!
depends if you are selling or burning if selling I just pile
it up and stack on my one ton dump easy to measure a cord don,t like
handling too much!

Sounds like it would work fine. I use treated 4x4 landscaping timbers. They were a little cheaper than regular lumber.

I built four racks out of 5/4" x 6" x 10' #2 standard grade PT deck flooring this summer. It was either that or level a chunk of the back yard with a shovel...

The basic rack is two halves connected at three places by whatever scrap is left over. One 10 foot long piece laying "on" the ground. Then a 5 foot long piece at a 45 degree angle attached within a couple feet of one end. Then a vertical at the end of the horizontal piece supporting the diagonal piece in about the middle of the diagonal piece. I'll see if I can get a decent pic, but the bottom layer of wood is 6" off the ground.

close to a farmer--or someone that has a old cement stave silo????--if they tear one down--those pieces are 24 in long--and laid on the ground--are excellent to stack wood on--or stack used red brick beside each other for same thing---

I have some on old split rail fence pieces, it's treated and it was free. I have others on an old 10' dock section my dad was throwing out. It's 10'x3 1/2 foot and is on 2x6's with a 2x4 down the center and 2x4 decking. I actually like that better then pallets, which I have a few cords on, but, if the grounds not level, they twist and tweak, then snap the support pieces.

Maine Pallets

Pallets are everywhere ( aka UBIQUITOUS) here and everywhere else. Call around: EBS, Home Depot, Lowes, Granville, WalMart, you name the retail place they ache to get rid of good oak pallets. They pay to get rid of them.
Your pickup will carry 10-15 of them.
My bill is in the mail. :greenchainsaw:

I stack directly on the ground. Have not lost any to rot yet and have some that has been in the stack for 3 years. IMO stacking on something is not necessary. At most you wind up with a bit of dirt on the pieces in contact with the ground.

Of course I am in a semi-arad area (SE WA - 16" precip annually) but...

Harry K

Thanks for the replies! I wish I could find good pallets in my area, but the depots etc all seem to have deposits on the pallets from vender's and such. The ones I do find are the sloppy pine ones that don't last a month... Thanks again for the great suggestions:cheers:

Keep Searching

Right: pine pallets are worthless; look for the real oak ones made in many places in Maine.
We're in rural Downeast Maine. Every plant, big box store, maker of whatever, all have gear shipped in on pallets. Drive around back to many of them looking for piles of disgarded pallets. Really, they're everywhere. Ellsworth and Bangor an hour plus away are where we shop. Go behind Mardens or Reny's for example.
Most of those pallets will need some hammer and nail work since they take hard use. Wear glove: oak splinters are a PITA.

Good luck.

Back