Stalling 066 Revisited

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Reaction score
Last week I posted about my 066 dying in the cut when milling after losing power, but restarting immediately and having full power right afterwards. I had guessed at a fuel problem, since it seemed to act like one. However, the fuel filter is clean, there are no holes in the fuel line, PLENTY of fuel is flowing to the carb (I pulled the carb with half a tank of fuel..my hands and shoes now smell like gas...that isn't the problem), checked the tank vent (worked perfectly), carb is perfectly clean and functional (recently rebuilt, worked fine for past year and a half). I'm kind of off the fuel kick, unless the filter is floating to the top of the tank and causing fuel starvation, but this has never happened before.

Ignition is possible, but I've never seen one quit and immediately start again and run fine.

Any guesses from here?

Mark

oldsaw said:
Last week I posted about my 066 dying in the cut when milling after losing power, but restarting immediately and having full power right afterwards. I had guessed at a fuel problem, since it seemed to act like one. However, the fuel filter is clean, there are no holes in the fuel line, PLENTY of fuel is flowing to the carb (I pulled the carb with half a tank of fuel..my hands and shoes now smell like gas...that isn't the problem), checked the tank vent (worked perfectly), carb is perfectly clean and functional (recently rebuilt, worked fine for past year and a half). I'm kind of off the fuel kick, unless the filter is floating to the top of the tank and causing fuel starvation, but this has never happened before.

Ignition is possible, but I've never seen one quit and immediately start again and run fine.

Any guesses from here?

Mark
It would help if you would keep it in one thread to make the information easier to go through. As of now, unless the reader has seen the original thread, he will have no idea about what's been suggested. Not to mention, if someone stumbles across the other thread later on, they won't know the outcome.

I recently fixed a 046 for a friend that was dying in a cut and would restart right after also. Turned out the fuel filter did not have the metal weight in it and the line was floating and the saw would starve for fuel. He had the saw a while and did not remember ever taking the filter apart, but when I pulled it out of the tank to check it it did not have the metal weight in it. New filter and saw ran fine. Sounds silly but worth a check. Good luck.

oldsaw said:

Any guesses from here?

Mark

Mark is it possible any crud got aspirated in the high speed? Also was wondering does it die also WOT with no load or attidude related? Faulty ground/loose, kill switch wire pinched or loose. Recoil cover comes off easy too-could take a look in there around the coil etc see if anything is obvious. Those wire issues would seem less likely but a ground if loose? Is there a ground also on that universal choke run stop lever maybe that. I'm no stihl tech but just throwing some things out there. Could hose some carb cleaner thru the hi speed screw hole-just a squirt might get lucky. Good luck

Back