standing dead white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fell it.
Buck it.
Split it.
Stack it

Repeat

check a sticky for Moisture content ( 13% ? )

if not ready for this year, you will have a good start on next years or the next.

hurry before someone on here scrounges it up before you can get to it.

Enjoy it, tis the season.

Even cut, split, and stacked oak may not be ready after a year. Some of the upper branches could be OK, but it's not likely that the majority of the tree is good for this winter.

The time it takes for oak to season is dependant on what length it is cut, how small it is split, where it is stacked, etc. Regardless of that, I would not consider a standing oak tree any where near ready to burn this season. Even cut as logs, they will be "green" for years.

The time it takes for oak to season is dependant on what length it is cut, how small it is split, where it is stacked, etc. Regardless of that, I would not consider a standing oak tree any where near ready to burn this season. Even cut as logs, they will be "green" for years.

I agree. White oak can look like it's ready to burn when it's standing dead, but as soon as you split the first piece you'll probably find plenty of moisture in there.

Ditto on what the others have said. The only thing that I have run into fairly consistently ready to burn when cut dead standing is elm. The bark needs to be off and the bottom few slices should probably have a short dry time. I still like to let the elm dry off for a couple of weeks after cutting and splitting before burning.

I have a catalytic stove so it doesn't really like burning wet wood at all. Or I don't like cleaning a plugged catalyst that often.

Don

Last fall I cut down a bur oak that was standing dead 3 years. The rounds would splash water out when the Fiskars SS bounced off. I just checked the stacked splits today and I think they will be ready this year, especially later this winter. I was amazed how much weight they had lost. That stuff was heavy when I split it and hauled it home. Not the ash that I usually work.:biggrin:

I have been cutting on a red wood tree that came down late in fall and it is still green the bark falls of pretty easy but it at 28%

I find that logs that have been left piled for a year or two dry out much faster than fresh cut. I am processing two year old logs right now
that are 20-30% moisture content when split. They usually get below 20% in about a month when stacked in a dry windy area. The smaller
diameter stuff is usually burnable right away.

I just hacked one up today...after seeing this thread i got the meter out for giggles and the fresh split pieces read 20%. This was standing dead but dead because it had ripped out of the ground, tearing off all but one root. I was really surprised to see it that low.

Back