Started cutting down a maple tree at my sisters today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thx for sharing the pics. Whoever took em' did a good job...
Thanks, I took the one of my friend running my 021, my wife took the rest! ;)

This project has only "just begun". It's probably going to be a summer project. I've been working six days a week, and that might not end any time soon. Plus I've got a bunch of other things going on. We're cutting down this tree to get to another tree that's in bad shape. By removing this one it will make removing the other one A LOT easier and safer. So we still have a lot of work to do.

The tree we were working on today is probably 4 foot in diameter (maybe a little more then that!) a foot or so off the ground (stump). At about three feet it's in three sections. We took the first section down today, which was the largest of the three. About a foot above where I made my back cut the diameter was 19 1/2 inches. The other two sections are 12 to 15 inches and 8 to 10 inches in diameter respectively.

My son.......I gotta be careful. He'll work himself right into the ground. He won't stop for anything, he just keeps digging in. He gets that from my dad! ;)

My 365.......I absolutely love it! Today was it's first real work out. I took it easy, but it's definitely a runner. I wonder if it will cut better once it's broke in fully! I buried the 20 inch bar and it just kept going! I'm sold on the Husky "anti vibe" thing now that's for sure. This saw cuts so smooth, I couldn't believe it! The tree I worked on today is about as big a tree I'll cut. If anyone is in the same situation as me (up to 20 inches) and is thinking about getting a 365 while you can still find one or a Johnny Red 2165, I HIGHLY recommend one! :D

Nice job and good saw over there :hmm3grin2orange:

but one thing bothers me, Your wearing so much PPE that i can hardly see you beneath them but its goot to see that other bystanders atleast know the real meaning of ppe...

Nice work, and just in time for Earth Day :D
Thanks Lake! ;)

The way I look at it, when I burn the wood in my wood stove, I'll be contributing the exhaust/smoke from my fire to the trees, flowers and grass in my neighborhood. Then they can produce more oxygen for my neighbors. Doesn't it work something like that? :confused:

Nice job and good saw over there :hmm3grin2orange:

but one thing bothers me, Your wearing so much PPE that i can hardly see you beneath them but its goot to see that other bystanders atleast know the real meaning of ppe...
I'm wearing gloves, earmuffs with the screen visor and steel toed boots. The next chain saw related item I buy is going to be a pair of chaps. The older I get (32), I try to be proactive about safety. Especially when my kids are watching me. Both my daughters were there as well! ;)

I'm wearing gloves, earmuffs with the screen visor and steel toed boots. The next chain saw related item I buy is going to be a pair of chaps. The older I get (32), I try to be proactive about safety. Especially when my kids are watching me. Both my daughters were there as well! ;)

How bout hardhat? lumberjack's boots? i take it your left glove has cut-resistant padding on it?

Its good to see you have some ppe, but the amount of it is rather low...

Nice pics, I felled a few trees for earth day as well. :laugh:

You need a helmet system and chaps. Think of it this way, together, they cost less than what your emergency room visit co-pay probably is... :eek:

Cool, thx for sharing the pics. Whoever took em' did a good job...

Ditto! ;) :D

How bout hardhat? lumberjack's boots? i take it your left glove has cut-resistant padding on it?

I regard protective trousers/chaps and boots as the most important PPE, for most use. What else to wear, depends more on the situation..........:yoyo: :yoyo:

Last edited:

I don't know about a hard hat. I like the earmuff with the visor I have now. Like I said the next chain saw item I buy is going to be a pair of chaps. My gloves are cut resistant. Having said that, they're intended for working with metal chips and things of that nature. They're not chain saw gloves. So when I get my chaps I'll get a good set of glove as well. :)

I can't let this continue without asking about ear protection for the bystanders? Especially the little ones! Big ones SHOULD know better! Little ones trust in the big ones!
Caught my neighbors not long ago preparing marshmallow/hot dog roast for their kids. Only problem fire was ALL treated wood. A little arsenic won't hurt them will it? Course Dad was standing in the smoke stream. License to breed?

I can't let this continue without asking about ear protection for the bystanders? Especially the little ones! Big ones SHOULD know better! Little ones trust in the big ones!
The adults I can't do anything about! The kids were pretty far away when we were running the saws. In one pic, you see my son standing by me with someone else hold a saw in the back round. It wasn't running. My son would leave the area when he fired it up.

bystanders

The adults I can't do anything about! The kids were pretty far away when we were running the saws. In one pic, you see my son standing by me with someone else hold a saw in the back round. It wasn't running. My son would leave the area when he fired it up.

Yup, that's the most important thing when cutting by bystanders, MAKE SURE THEY ARE OUT OF THE WAY! And you did that, so you're good, and you wore PPE! Nice pics, good job, nice saw! NYH1, you won't want to run a bigger saw, you'll be addicted then! And yup, she'll run 2x as good broke in!;) :D :rock: :laugh: :rockn:

Thanks Lake! ;)

The way I look at it, when I burn the wood in my wood stove, I'll be contributing the exhaust/smoke from my fire to the trees, flowers and grass in my neighborhood. Then they can produce more oxygen for my neighbors. Doesn't it work something like that? :confused:

That sounds about right ...

(this is random) ... I find it interesting that new saws have limiter caps on the carburetor ... to limit emissions which harm the enviro ... but what's ironic? The carburetors are limited on machines used to CUT DOWN TREES! :dizzy:

well you should know,,,, we were given dominion!!!!

Random on this and guess what trees are a renewable resource!!!!!!

Now I suppose your gonna have us to post signs with tweeks notice for all the critters to vacate the area as well !!!!!!FCOL :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
thanks for the photos

how do

i enjoyed your photos and as far as ppe goes...i just ordered my first set of chaps. i was limbing an standing tree before felling it and the branch i cut came down on my saw and pushed the saw down to my leg, the chain break caught and no damage...just a wake up call.

i was wearing a hard hat at the time, i work for a rural electric so it is required. i ordered one for my own use and it was not expensive.

i also bought a pole saw to do overhead limbing.

i am damn near 60 and i really try to work safe on and off the job.

really nice photos

talcott

I enjoyed watching all the action. Nice quads I couldn't tell the model im guessing grizzly 600s. That husky was throwing chips pretty good! I am happy to see you work safe. Keep the pictures coming.

That wasn't a tree, it was a mini-forest. I would have loved to have been there to have milled a bunch of that stuff...you are just too far away even if you would have invited me.

Mark

Back