Starter not disengaging fully - Vermeer 352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John464

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The gear that actuates from the solenoid on the starter is not going back all the way after motor has started(sparks fly) or sometimes doesn't go back at all(starter gear spins on flywheel)

Has anyone had this happen to them on their Vermeer 352? I tried spraying some lube in there with no luck.

Do I replace the whole starter for this or just the solenoid on the starter or do I do something else? any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
There are a number of reasons for the gear to not retract. It in the solenoid or the linkage from the plunger to the gear or in the surface the gear slides on. Usually you can get away with replacing the gear and solenoid. But make sure you fix the problem that caused the gear to stick. While you have it apart it would be a good time to replace the brushes and bushings.

the ignition switch could be going bad also. i would start with the starter soloniod first. they are usually pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Latest posts

Back