Starting my own bussiness - Tree chipper Bodies - Trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOOTALL

Reaction score
I have been with the same company in HOUSTON TX for nine Years . This year. I have been pondering on starting up my own business . I need some input on New trucks - I been looking @ F650 Ford super cab - Caterpillar or cummins. For our type of work is Standard or Automatic Best .
secondly what is your general opp ion of the ford - newer models 2000 and above . Third what has been you'alls experience with Shodorf chipper Bodies or South Co . I Am looking @ 14 * 72 L Box with Hydraulic Lift gate to Lift Logs up into Truck .
Lastly How do you say good by to a great company after nine years of service ?
I would like your comments / Advise please

TOOTALL said:
Lastly How do you say good by to a great company after nine years of service ?

Before saying Ostalavista you had better make sure you have all your equipment,Insurance,advertising,Backlog of work and plenty of money saved up atleast 2 months worth of expenses.

agree with DDM.
You can do it with less on hand, and I did. But it is many times harder. this is hard enough, imo.
in the end, it is your chioce.
buy good used equipment imo. payments will be high enough without paying 75K for a bucket truck.
-Ralph

I'm not in the forestry business, but I have some expierence with medium duty trucks, mainly with international and freightliner but some older ford too.

About the truck, your could go either way with the cummins or caterpillar, both are great engines, don't even consider the 6L powerstroke its no good in this kind of application. The cummins engine and parts are cheaper (smaller displacement and more common engine).

But the key thing about either of these engines is hp. 230hp and less are dogs!!! I would look for 250+ hp.

For transmissions, automatics are the safest bet for you'll have more available drivers (alot of class D drivers aren't proficient with sticks) plus its one less thing you have to worry about. If you already have drivers that you know and trust, i'd go with the manual.

Diesels better on fuel and longer lasting, also cost more. Automatic easier to drive and manuver when backing in a yard, but higher cost, standard shift lower cost, cheaper maintainence. As for leaving your current, standard 2 weeks notice should be fine, longer if you think it will take longer to find a replacement, some companies might tell you to leave asap when you give the notice. Keep a good relationship with your former, offer to sub for them if needed and vis-versa. Agree having a few months savings to keep thing going if work gets slow. Also check cost of insurance for business, equipment and help if hiring and factor all of in before giving notice and making major purchase. good luck.

Auto is much nicer then standard + if you have a worker drive you won't have to deal with a burnt out clutch. For a chipper get like a 15-18" diesel with under 700hr.s so its still almost new. Get a drum good brands to look at are Morbark & Brush Bandit. With the motor for the truck get the cummins like stated above; try abd find one with under 80K miles on it. You will like the extra cab as you can throw ropes or workers in the rear seats. The chipper bodies you stated above are both great manufacturers; MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ATLEAST 5 vents on each side of the top of the body; less blowback, air vent much faster. Good luck with your purchase and like stated above make shure that you have the truck & chipper sitting in your driveway before you say goodby to the company you work for; also make sure you have insurance, business license & atleast 3 months worth money ro cover payments & costs. Again good luck and post some pics up and update your situation.

If you have been working for a great company for nine years you should ask yourself in what ways you expect to be better off working for yourself and what exceptional skills you have to do it.

I have fords and Ih's Like the IH's much better Dt466 is hard to beat and the least expensive to overhaul. You should beable to get into a good used chip dump for less than 20K.

Make sure you have some funds in the bank before saying goodbye . . . it will take a while to earn a profit. When starting a business most of your early profits will go to paying bills. Figure out a budget & don't forget to put something aside for repairs and maintenance (I just had the front discs on my NPR HD done - $975!).

I wouldn't go with a lift gate . . . too slow and adds too much extra weight to the truck.

It amazes me the number of people who want to start up a business with thousands of dollars of debt. When I started my business I started with a truck, gear, and a trailer. Start at the bottom, when business picks up add the bigger toys. You will always be able to sub out chipping and stumping if you want. You can also rent a lift for the unclimbable jobs. Think big, start small. Pete

Back