• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Steel splitting wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I have bought some used ones at yard sales for a few bucks a piece, and cleaned them up, especially after seeing them list for up to $20 a piece at many hardware and home centers. Not looking to sell any, but also can't imagine mailing 4 - 5 pound blocks of steel would be cost effective.

The best price I have seen them for new has been at Home Depot. 4# for $7, and 5# for $8. On-line purchase, with free ship-to-store. Can't tell where they are made.

Philbert

maulhead

maulhead

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Council tool makes made in the USA steel wedges. I have a few.

Also watch on eBay for used made in the USA ones. I bought 4 made in the USA used wedges off of eBay, and the guy got all 4 of them in a flat rate envelope for $5.75 shipping (I thought that was cost effective) he taped the daylights out of the envelope!! About the cheapest shipping out there, if you can stuff them in a flat rate envelope they have a 70lbs weight limit. I sent a 3/8" X 22' log chain in one of those flat rate envelopes, that weighed almost 30lbs, got there safe and sound, just be sure to tape every square inch!

Mad Professor
I have a bunch of old wedges that I have saved, used, de-mushroomed, and re-de-mushroomed. And I always am looking at tag sales and farm auctions. A bunch of mine got misplaced during a recent moving of the tools.......arrgghhh! No they are not out in the woods under the leaves.........

I still split everything by hand, the big stuff I use the wedges, and a REAL 20 lb sledge (those are hard to find too)

Thanks for the info on the flat rate shipping and 70 lb limit!!!! I'm sure to make use of that.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
All of mine have the 'dual taper'. I have 3, 4, and 5 pound wedges. These have obviously been cleaned up. The mushrooming on the blue wedges was so thick that I cut it off with an angle grinder, rather than trying to grind it back.

Philbert

3 splitting wedges.jpg

fordf150

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
No clue how good or bad they are but Forester/ ahlborn has wedges that you should be able to get for around $8-10. They have half a dozen different styles of them available

old guy

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Philbert, those you show have good taper, go to Fleet Farm and look at those, they are really blunt, and while you'r there look at they'r large splitting mauls, the edge on those is a 1/4 - 5/16 radias:eek: it would take 1/2 hour on a grinder to make one usable.

John

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I used a normal bench grinder to clean up the 'cutting' edges - maybe I increased the taper a small amount? I use a ScotchBrite wheel to polish the bevels around the striking end, after grinding off the mushroom/burrs, so that I don't cut/scrape my hands when handling them. The paint just keeps them looking pretty until they are used again.

Philbert

Latest posts