sthil 028 woodboss issues and pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is "4 stroking"? I searched but couldn't find anything or maybe I just didn't search the right thing. Can someone point me to the right spot?

I bet she ran good them last few minutes, I would replace your impulse line and fuel line while you are there and I would figure out how to tune it or take it to some one who can show you but if that is how you tuned it that is what caused this. I wouldn't worry about hot rodding it till you get the basics down.

Last edited:
Your right there it ran great for the 10min it ran yesterday lol.
I am a millwright by trade just haven't had the experience with carbs.

I'm guessing that any of the 028 cylinder and piston combo should fit it?
Mines a woodboss, would I benigit any by using a super piston/cylinder?

I bet she ran good them last few minutes, I would replace your impulse line and fuel line while you are there and I would figure out how to tune it or take it to some one who can show you but if that is how you tuned it that is what caused this. I would worry about hot rodding it till you get the basics down.

It may have revved like crazy but when I get one any where near lean they bog easy and cut slower. Steve

I have a 028WB that appears to have a good piston and cyclinder.

It is posted in the swap section of the forum. I could pull the cylinder off to verify if you are interested in it. I would think you would still want to put new rings on it.

new pics

ok so i obviously need a new piston/rings but is the cylinder salvageable? im going to bring it to work tomorrow and try to hone/clean it up

191192d1311049816-img_0804-jpg

191193d1311049843-img_0805-jpg

191194d1311049866-img_0807-jpg

Last edited:
There's alot of aluminum missing from that piston, but you may get lucky and it's just on top of the plating of the cylinder, and has not scratched through it. I've got two of these saws and they are just plain awesome. Super reliable and fun to use. If you need just a piston make sure you know what size you need, the WB's came with 42mm and 44mm with the Supers having a 46mm.

44ZN13 is stamped on the cylinder so im guessing its a 44mm then? would i notice a difference if i go to the 46 if i end up needing the cylinder too?

44ZN13 is stamped on the cylinder so im guessing its a 44mm then? would i notice a difference if i go to the 46 if i end up needing the cylinder too?

That I could not tell you. I have a 42mm WB and a 46mm Super, and there is a BIG difference between those two. The WB barely pulls a 16in 3/8, and the Super wears an 18in 3/8 (with a light touch in hardwood).

i have an 18" bar on mine. not sure what the 3/8 refers too

any tips on how to clean up the cylinder? or attempt to

Last edited:
WOW! That’s one torched piston. You may get lucky with the muriatic acid cleaning, but that’s a lot of aluminum wash to remove. I also don’t believe all the top ends on the 028 series are interchangeable. I think it was mentioned on this site that the crankcase and cylinder for the super are a little different. Not positive on that but a search should find it.

Can I ask a question on this subject. Mountainlake states that the engine has been lean siezed not straight gassed. How do you determine between the two?

I am just guessing but lean seize would allow the saw to run for a longer time building up more heat and do more damage to the cylinder and piston as pictured.

Straight gassed the saw would not run quite as long and possibly do less damage although nether is good.

Just noticing the deep scratches and burnt black color on the piston leads one to believe that its been lean seized. If it was straight gassed the gaskets wouldnt look like they were melted to the piston head.

As far as the 028 super piston depends on the size of your current piston. If I remember right the 028 woodboss has a 44mm piston and I think the 028 super has a 46mm piston? (someone could correct me if I'm wrong). So you'd need to possibly bore out your cylinder.

You'd be better off just replacing the piston with a regular piston and using the saw. The difference in power from a 028WB to a 028S wouldnt be enough for you to notice in the end. It would just cost you more money to modify the saw than it would be worth to make it into a 028 Super.

If you wanted to make the transition you could possibly buy the P&C kit for a 028 Super and just plop it in your saw (with a few slight modifications of course).

Let us know how it goes regardless!

I did some searching on google and from what I have found as long as I use a super cylinder and a piston to go with it then that should work. Am I being lead wrong here? Can anyone positively confirm or deny this?

I believe that it was lean seized now that it's apart as well. The piston looks almost melted on the one side and it Covers over the rings in the one spot. The saw was cutting the best I have seen it work yet. Maybe that's because it was reving higher then ever before lol

I did some searching on google and from what I have found as long as I use a super cylinder and a piston to go with it then that should work. Am I being lead wrong here? Can anyone positively confirm or deny this?

I believe that it was lean seized now that it's apart as well. The piston looks almost melted on the one side and it Covers over the rings in the one spot. The saw was cutting the best I have seen it work yet. Maybe that's because it was reving higher then ever before lol

You might have problems with the carburetor, I'm not sure they used the same carb in both models. But for the most part the piston and cylinder are the main things that make your saw run. Like I said, you could use a 028 Super cylinder and piston with some slight modifications but I'm not 100% that it would be a complete and direct fit. The 46mm piston and cylinder might be slightly larger to fit in your crankcase and you might have to modify half the saw to get it to fit in there and after all thats said and done why not just buy a busted 028/29 Super if you're looking for more power.

And yes, it looks like that piston got really really hot and melted the rings to the sides of it. I'd say the piston is shot at the last. It'd be cheaper to just replace the piston unless you toasted the cylinder at the same time, but your cylinder doesnt look that bad.

Back