Sthil 250 Restart trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deon Dicks

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 1 year old 250 Stihl, and the little saw works great, cold start is great but if I shut it off for 4-5 minutes than try and start it again, it can make you want to beat the thing up on a stump!!
This as happened over time, the saw was not like this before. The saw idles great and continues to run perfect if i leave it running. It will start great if I shut it off and than restart right away. Anyone with any advice?
Thanks

Thanks Jim, i just didn't think a saw that new would need carb tuning, or kit, but i will give it a try and let you know.

Hi Jim, I just finished taking apart my carb, and between the lid of the carb and the diaphragm ,there was a bunch of dirt, clean it out and now the saw is working great!! Restarts perfect. Thanks for your help

Good Morning,

It has been my experience, that if their is debris between cover plate and fuel pump diaphragm, the air filter is not doing its job.

Especially on an 025/MS250, if the air filter has been damaged and does not "clip" back on the filter housing a lot of dust/chips can be ingested. When this debris enters the engine it passes back through the impulse line and fills the area between the diaphragm and plate.

Make certain the filter clips back on the housing tight. Do not remove it by prying out on the tabs with anything. Take hold of the filter by the ends and rock it gently while lifting. These filters are only about $4.00.

Good Morning,

It has been my experience, that if their is debris between cover plate and fuel pump diaphragm, the air filter is not doing its job.

Especially on an 025/MS250, if the air filter has been damaged and does not "clip" back on the filter housing a lot of dust/chips can be ingested. When this debris enters the engine it passes back through the impulse line and fills the area between the diaphragm and plate.

Make certain the filter clips back on the housing tight. Do not remove it by prying out on the tabs with anything. Take hold of the filter by the ends and rock it gently while lifting. These filters are only about $4.00.
2.90 at my local dealer for the newer MS250. I bought 4 of them for under 12.00. Compare that with the 36.00 MS362 filter. I had to put a small layer of grease where the filter rests in the carb intake because smalls were getting in at that area on a brand new saw.

Hello,

The HD2 filter is @$25.00 and the two part filter @$34.00 here in Ohio.

If you have the older two part filter, it can be replaced with HD2 filter. There are a total of eight parts that need to be replaced.

Larry. HOS.

Good Morning,

Maybe I'm mistaking but the filter as nothing to do with the dirt between the diaphragm and the cover ,there is a little hole in the cover plate. As far as i can tell thats the only way dirt can get in there. If the dirt was on the other side of the diaphragm, than it would be getting in the jet. This is the diaphragm i'm talking about.

Attachments

• walbro-carburetor-metering-diaphragm-assembly.jpg
    walbro-carburetor-metering-diaphragm-assembly.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1
Maybe I'm mistaking but the filter as nothing to do with the dirt between the diaphragm and the cover ,there is a little hole in the cover plate. As far as i can tell thats the only way dirt can get in there. If the dirt was on the other side of the diaphragm, than it would be getting in the jet. This is the diaphragm i'm talking about.
That s called the "metering" diaphragm, the other one is the fuel pump diaphragm..

Good, someone that know what he is talking about. I was told to always put the plate on with the hole toward the motor. It want stop the problem, but it will help. Tom

Latest posts

Back