Sthil MS310 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gudde

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a ms310 that I get almost 3 tanks of fuel to 1 of bar oil.
I have read some threads about low oil output but if there is an
answer I have missed it. There are some threads that talk about
modifying the oil pump but gives no details.
So I am wanting to know if there is a HO output pump available
and/or how to modify my pump to get closer to a 1to1 ratio.
I have adjusted my pump to the max setting.

Thanks

All of the newer stihls are lean on the bar oil. As long as the chain is not drying up and not showing bad wear on it or the bar I personally don't worry about it. Just think it actually saves a guy a little money on bar oil also. What size bar are you running?

Running an 18" bar with 3/8 chain. The chain and bar get plenty hot
when I am cutting. i have a section of the bar that has turned blue.
My sprocket wear seems to be pretty bad also.

290x3,310x2,390,261x2,361x2,440,460x4,441,660x3. These are a few of the newer stihl saws that I have had. I won't even get into the smaller stihls I've had. All of these saws would use a little over a half of a tank of bar oil to a tank of mix. None of these saws would empty the oil tank on a 1:1 ratio with the fuel tank. I know you can get a H.O. oil pump on some of these larger pro saws but I never did.

I will say that it does sound like your 310 should be using more bar oil than it is though. Have you tried to rinse out the oil tank with some kerosene or gas to make sure its clean or even take a look at the oil line filter in the oil tank?

I have drained the oil tank, removed the oil pump suction line to tank. Then I blew thru the line into the oil tank.
It seemed the oil line and filter were open. I could see the filter thru the fill hole and it looked clean.
I agree that it should oil closer to 1to1 but I have not found out to achieve it. That is why I posted
hoping someone would have a fix.

i have a 310 bought new in 2001. it's close to 1:1 ( a little oil left when out of gas). check your bar groove and oil pickup holes. i clean the bar groove with a bar cleaning tool and blow the oil holes out with compressed air. those little oil holes in the bar don't take much to get restricted. if the bar is good and clean, might be time for a new oil pump.

I presume that you have adjusted the oil pump all the way open, and not all the way closed? It sounds more like it is set all the way closed. If it is set all the way open, I would suspect the oil control bolt is not setting the pump piston (snapped off?). My 310 oil pump does just fine adjusted all the way open. It runs through about 90% of a tank of oil per tank of gas. I have had a lot of these 1127 saws, and I never had an oil pump problem with any of them. The 1123 saws have fixed oil pumps and they tend to clog up at the oil line elbow, or just below the pump intake. You could have sawdust in the pump or there could be a clog between the pump and the bar oil outlet. Pull the B&C and run the saw and see if the oil gushes out of the slot.

Latest posts

Back