Sthle o28 av electronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcuter ms361

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Was at a buddy's today and we got to talking about saw's and said he had a 028 av electronic,and several years ago it stoped running while it was idling,to make a long story short the dealer said the ign. went out and would not warrenty it,so he went and bought a husky,he dug it out from under his work bench and said here you can have it!I tryed to pay him for it but he wouldn't take a dime,so now I got a project saw,any help about checking out the ign. sure would be a great help,am a diesel mech by trade,not much exprence with saw's except sawing.Thanks in advance:blob2:

Check and make sure it's not something simple like a loose ground or a cut wire. Other than that...just buy a replacement coil...put it in and clean the carb...and I'll bet you'll have a good running saw. I just took the points out of an old 028 and put in one of the aftermarket coils and the saw runs great.

I got a 028 the same way. FREBEE. looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.
If you think you are gonna pull the flywheel mark it before you pull it, mine has two key ways.
How much $ is two much to put in a freebee like this ?
wise wood

If you are need of a coil, the 028 takes the most popular coil Stihl makes. Part number 0000-400-1300. Plenty of good used one floating around.

Check and make sure it's not something simple like a loose ground or a cut wire. Other than that...just buy a replacement coil...put it in and clean the carb...and I'll bet you'll have a good running saw. I just took the points out of an old 028 and put in one of the aftermarket coils and the saw runs great.

Check the obvious first, and in line with that check the coil that is on the saw to make sure she is making spark. The coil's can be had for less than $30.00 usually off of fleabay.
Otherwise there are several sponsors who carry them as well - don't know the price however. The coil on that 028 is very common and used on several other saws as well. Make a trip over to the thread where you can get the Individual Parts List (IPL) and you'll be in business. (For laffs and giggles I'd take a look at the fuel system as well - fuel line, filter, carb and air filter) Happy Sawing.

Thanks to all!I also have a 028 I bought new around 1984,I had points replaced with modul,On the 028 electronic is the coil assembly the complete ign. or is there a modul that triggers the coil?
Is there a way to test the coil?

If it's electronic (no points)...then the coil module is it. There is a wire that plus into the coil and goes to the on/off switch. It grounds out the coil. There is a second wire in the switch that grounds to the top of the saw under the cylinder cover. I've had two 028's apart in the last week and one was to get rid of the points in an older one.

what am I missing on the 028 av. I have checked fuel filter, fuel line,impulse hose,did diaphrams in carb. all seems to be good.
have 110# compression,feels good when I pull cord & makes decent power but cant keep it running. occanally sounds like it needs points
but is electronic. when it quits it has spark and plug looks like a no fuel situation.
Next is a vacum check for bad seals or leaks .then i guess a coil is all that is left. When I did the carb and fuel line check
it started after about six pulls,pretty good for having to pull fuel through empty lines. I dont think it needs rings but that and a coil is about all that is left if
their is no air leaks. Did I miss anything, o, I checked the wires also . Hope one of you gentleman can spot something I missed cause i am about stumped.
wise wood

what am I missing on the 028 av. I have checked fuel filter, fuel line,impulse hose,did diaphrams in carb. all seems to be good.
have 110# compression,feels good when I pull cord & makes decent power but cant keep it running. occanally sounds like it needs points
but is electronic. when it quits it has spark and plug looks like a no fuel situation.
Next is a vacum check for bad seals or leaks .then i guess a coil is all that is left. When I did the carb and fuel line check
it started after about six pulls,pretty good for having to pull fuel through empty lines. I dont think it needs rings but that and a coil is about all that is left if
their is no air leaks. Did I miss anything, o, I checked the wires also . Hope one of you gentleman can spot something I missed cause i am about stumped.
wise wood

110psi is low. Mine pulled 160 after I replaced the piston and rings.

Got my new coil today for the 028, pretty fast service from Northwood Saw, is .010 about right for the air gap?

.010-.012 I can't remember. What I do know is the use of a normal thickness business card works perfect for the air gap. :rock:

D'oh

I really feel F'd in the A. i've read close to 10 stihl 028 super forum posts about fixing the start up then die problem. basically memorized the illustrated parts manuel. spent hours taking it apart and cleaning everything i can get to and the sucker just wont idle or run for longer than a popcorn farts instant. Please Help.

This is what i've know. my coil's good (used 2 pieces of paper to measure gap) and i get a hell of a spark when i ran that test. compressions fine. changed the fuel filter, fuel line, impulse line, spark plug, rebuilt carb (twice...D'oh), 'tweaked' the exhaus t and when i took it off i took a peak at my cylinder through the exhaust and it looks smooth (or at least from what i saw on the site of bum cylinders it looked clean. i saw really small lines around it but it shined, and im guessing it'd look the worst towards the exhaust side. do top and bottom of cylinder matter to look at if sides look good?) it'll start up, rev way up and kill itself. i can keep it running by VVVRRRMMMing her hard at a fast pace, eventually it kills itself. I played night and day with the H/L and Idle Screw. white exhaust rolls right out. i've basically feel like it's some air leak i missed somewhere, or the cylinder is disguised as looking good, or the seals. Pretty dang close to bringin it to a local stihl fixer-upper for under $20, but i dont want to give in that easy and where's the fun in that anyway? i've put over 6 hours into fixing my stihl 028 super AVEQ and haven't been able to cut one gosh darn log! Someone PLEASE bust the wall i've ran into.

p.s. one more thing, seems to be spitting bar oil pretty generously out of the bar manifold, is there an oil adjustment screw on a stihl 028 super? i couldn't seem to locate it. my friends stihl 032 you can access it from the bottom.

Back