stihl 009L running issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtie1949

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl 009L, will start when engine is cold. runs well (idle and full speed) until engine warms up. saw will speed up very fast for 5 seconds and shut completely down. Will restart with choke on and will do the same thing. Fuel filter, air filter ok. I've adjusted carburetor per initial setup (tuned both high and low speed all the way in and back out 1 full turn on each screw). Thanks for helping in advance.

Thanks for responding. I'm sending 2 pictures, one of carb and fuel filter assmb. the fuel line is a little stiff, but didn't see any leaks

Attachments

• stihl-009-carb1.jpg
    stihl-009-carb1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • stihl-009-carb2.jpg
    stihl-009-carb2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
The first thing that I would do is replace the fuel filter, second thing is disassemble the carb. and check the diaphragms and dirt in the internal filter.. If you carry a saw to a shop in my area the first thing they do is replace the plug. Probably not your problem since y said that it would speed up then die. That is a sign of running out of gas. Tom

First off , I want to thank the both of you for responding. I have disassembled the Carb. Has a lot of dirt in it. Should I rebuild or purchase a new one from web?.
What sites would you suggest to purchase parts from?. also, the plug is a Champion CJ8. I always thought Stihl used Bosch plugs.
The Carburetor is a ZAMA the 2 numbers on the carb are ae C1S and S1B93P. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I buy most of my small parts (carb. kits, etc) from a chainsaw dealer or small engine dealer. If you buy the carb. kits on line be sure you get OEM kits. My IPL for a Stihl 010 or 011 calls for a NKG BPMR7A OR Bosch WSR6F plug. I can't find an IPL for an 009 at the present, but I would think they are the same. You can probably rebuild the carb. , Just look at the surface area on the pump side (side with the small flaps) and make sure there is no corrosion or erosion of the surface. If there is the flaps want seal and it want pump fuel. Be sure to replace the metering needle and blow air through the opening from the needle side. If the carb. has any gum buildup use carb. cleaner liberally to clean it. If you have trouble getting a good stream of fuel through the low speed jet spray some carb. cleaner in it and let it set thirty minutes or so then spray some air through it. You can get a can of air at the walmart computer dept. I use carb. cleaner on the low speed jet, but use WD on the high side because I have been told that it can damage a diaphragm in the jet. If worst comes to worst you will have to remove the welch plugs (probably not) to get a good stream of fuel though the orifices . If you need any more help sendme a PM and I will try to heip. Tom

I buy most of my small parts (carb. kits, etc) from a chainsaw dealer or small engine dealer. If you buy the carb. kits on line be sure you get OEM kits. My IPL for a Stihl 010 or 011 calls for a NKG BPMR7A OR Bosch WSR6F plug. I can't find an IPL for an 009 at the present, but I would think they are the same. You can probably rebuild the carb. , Just look at the surface area on the pump side (side with the small flaps) and make sure there is no corrosion or erosion of the surface. If there is the flaps want seal and it want pump fuel. Be sure to replace the metering needle and blow air through the opening from the needle side. If the carb. has any gum buildup use carb. cleaner liberally to clean it. If you have trouble getting a good stream of fuel through the low speed jet spray some carb. cleaner in it and let it set thirty minutes or so then spray some air through it. You can get a can of air at the walmart computer dept. I use carb. cleaner on the low speed jet, but use WD on the high side because I have been told that it can damage a diaphragm in the jet. If worst comes to worst you will have to remove the welch plugs (probably not) to get a good stream of fuel though the orifices . If you need any more help sendme a PM and I will try to heip. Tom
Tom,
Thanks ever so much for getting back to me and all the good suggestions/info. I have checked the web for parts for the 0009L, not very much to choose from. Found several carb kits, will need to check to make sure their oem.
I found a new carb on ebay, I may go that route. I have several generic leaf blowers that I have purchase new carbs form ebay and they worked out ok. Most are guarantee or return. When I removed the carb from the 009L the
gasket that seets the carb to the machine was damaged, will need to go to the dealer to purchase (hope its available). Thanks again, I am new to this site and very please soo far with it.

Tom,
Thanks ever so much for getting back to me and all the good suggestions/info. I have checked the web for parts for the 0009L, not very much to choose from. Found several carb kits, will need to check to make sure their oem.
I found a new carb on ebay, I may go that route. I have several generic leaf blowers that I have purchase new carbs form ebay and they worked out ok. Most are guarantee or return. When I removed the carb from the 009L the
gasket that seets the carb to the machine was damaged, will need to go to the dealer to purchase (hope its available). Thanks again, I am new to this site and very please soo far with it.
Tom,
Tom,
Just wanted to give you an update on my 009L and thank you again for your help. I purchased a carb kit and installed, also fuel filter and new fuel line alone with new
gasket for base of carb. Saw is running fine now. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back