Stihl 009L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deberly12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the opinion of it. I am a husky guy (not a debate I just am) but I would like to try a top handle saw to use for some future in tree use and also real small firewood cutting like 4 inch and less when I don't feel like using my big saw. I found one for a $100. I can't afford to pay much for one right now especially because I don't know if I will like it. I want to be able to resell it if I don't. What are they going for these days?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Gray ones are much better than the orange ones .. that said even a grey one in super nice condition I wouldn’t pay a penny over 75$ if I really really wanted one . They are old . A used ms150 or ms191 would be a much more usable and dependable saw

There is only one small part that is orange so I'm guessing this would be a gray one. So I guess that this isn't a top handle that you would recommend as a trial one anyway.

Well, if it had a newish bar and chain, maybe.
It says it does...we're you looking at the same add lol. That is word for word what it says.

But it is 14 inch. I would want to have a 10 or maybe 12.

No, I worked at Stihl dealers when they were sold.
If I were the seller, I might be a tad more enthusiastic about it.
Oh hahaha yeah I was confused that you weren't very convincing. Am I wrong that a 10 or 12 inch bar would be a good compliment to my 465 with a 20inch?

Well I offered $60. He said he wants to wait and see if he gets other offers. So I will wait and be on the lookout for other cheap top handles.

I haven't put much time in on one and I'm not sure if I'll like it hence why I want to get a cheap one to test out for a while.

At a 100 bux if its in good shape its a great ground saw...or in a bucket...it will pull a 14 inch bar and chain fine...IMHO.

Well I offered $60. He said he wants to wait and see if he gets other offers. So I will wait and be on the lookout for other cheap top handles.

I haven't put much time in on one and I'm not sure if I'll like it hence why I want to get a cheap one to test out for a while.

one here sold at a 100 in one day it was very clean ....i went to email the guy and it was gone when i got home....if its clean and runs good he will sell it fast...and nope im not the seller....

Hi,
Here is a thread on the 009L and the stihl 011 saws.... i think this will work as a link
Stihl 009L electronic swap bodies with 011AVT or AV electronic???
028S038AV, Jun 1, 2017, in forum: Chainsaw

The stihl 009L (the L is large piston) and the 011 both have the same 2.5ci or 41cc engine. I consider this to be over powered top handle saw. Many small saws are in the 35cc or even little less. The stihl 009L is a top handle with NO anti vibration handle..... so if you hands do not have problems. This is a compact little top handle saw that would be great to take with the 4x4 trip, or put in pvc pipe on the truck. It is more compact than the stihl 011AVTE.....AntiVibrationTopHandleElectronic. I like the build and size of the 009L better than the 011AVT but I need antiviberation. I am cautioned on your desire to cut firewood..... if you use for long periods you may or may not have problems. I think for purning, take along, and take care of a fallen tree in your path you will be very happy.

I sold my 009L to my neighbors brother for $130.... but I rebuilt the saw, cleaned carb, new mtd gasket, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, clean air filter, then did a tune up and spark plug, with copper antiseize on threads. I gave him a deal and it went half way across the country with him. Compression was 130psi if memory is correct. I gave him a discount..... and he likes the saw...... I liked the saw...

I like this size saw so much.... the stihl 011AVE I just fixed up with new chain..... has never cut wood. I tested it out, cleaned it up, fogged the cylinder and put it in the basement. I consider them to be a nicely powered small or small top handle saw.

Value..... look at the saw and does it look 30 yrs old or 5 yrs old. If you buy used equipment and motors get a compression tester kit. Test it cold, look at the spark plug color, gunk, and look on web how to read spark plugs. Then start it up and see how it works. The do a second compression test HOT.... and in general a new spec on compression is 120psi..... so that or higher has lots of life. Guys that look at the same motor, equip or chainsaw often can feel the pull on cord to see if decent compression. I love what my compression tester can tell me. Some of these will be metal bodies and some will be plastic. The body parts will interchange on the 009L and the bar side cover is the same on 009 and 011.

Yes you can find these for $25 or $60 but can you fix them.... a good running saw is worth more, in my opinion, if you do not know the process to make it work like it should. A new chain (two qty prefered) and a bar is $35........Also need to look at drive sprocket.... spins and moves the chain.... If there is a pretty good chain groove of .020 to .025 it will need to be replaced soon..... $15-20 if you can install. Worn sprocket can cause the chain to tighten and loosen intermittent with use..... the chain slacks in groove, and tightens if moves out of grooove. New chains will last longer with a new sprocket...... so guys like me that fix stuff will buy 3 chains and a new sprocket & Bar often. Save the old chains and bar before TOAST so if you cut along fence line, or trees with nails, use the old bar/chain.

Now I either confused the heck out of you ..... or gave you a new confidence to get or borrow a compression tester, WEB search reading spark plugs, and go take a look.

these guys helped me with manuals.... many times now..... so returning the favor.
If you buy the saw.... look for the free manuals thread in the sticky area.

Latest posts

Back