Stihl 010AV Quickstop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stderr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an old 010av, all orange, points behind the flywheel. I'm not sure it's worth getting going, but I'm exploring options. The issue right now is ignition.

I have removed & cleaned the flywheel, points, & plug, set the gaps on plug, points and coil-flywheel, pulled the ignition wire and let it spark through a screwdriver to the cylinder using two different plug wires. The spark is just plain weak.

If I pull the plug, connect the spark lead to it, hold it against the cylinder, there's not enough juice to jump the plug gap; tried with two different plugs. If I position the plug so the electrode is almost touching a cylinder fin, there is a spark but it's only able to jump a hair, not the 4mm quoted in the service manual.

My settings are:

Coil-Flywheel: 0.2mm
Plug: 0.3mm

Measurements of the condenser and coil are:

Condenser: 0.179uF
Primary side resistance: 1.0 ohm
Spark side resistance: 8.0 Kohm

The points look good, no pitting, and I checked for spark with the condenser disconnected; it made no difference. Everything above falls in spec from the service manual, but the spark is very weak.

I would like to try a new coil, and/or upgrade to electronic ignition & lose the points. Stens has something, but it's $150, and the saw just ain't worth it.

Any thoughts, ideas, help, and/or obvious things I've missed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did you ever sort this? Old post I know.

I have the same saw and popped on a cheapy electronic ignition. Spark is nice and strong but I'm not sure if the timing needs altering because it just won't start.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Did you ever sort this? Old post I know.

I have the same saw and popped on a cheapy electronic ignition. Spark is nice and strong but I'm not sure if the timing needs altering because it just won't start.

Try switching the wires on the ignition chip. I have had to do that because it was out of time, but the saw would start. Also you may have just got a bad unit or there could be other problems. Tom

I would but there's only one. And it sparks well so it can't be that badly wrong. Only thing I can think of is timing maybe.

Did you cut the wire from the points and condensor to the coil?

directions_1.jpg

Back