stihl 011 av oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newby here

I just got a CL 011 for $30 with case. The inside of the case and the saw was the oilest thing I have ever seen! Well after cleaning and being sure the saw ran I tackled the case and saw to clean it. A whole role of Blue paper towels and some naptha later every thing is clean (saw,bar, chain and case). the problem is that after sitting overnight there is a puddle under the saw about 5 inches in diameter.

Question is shouldn't the oiler not leak like that? or is it normal. I didn't check the pump as when it ran there seemed to be enough oil on the bar. What do you guys think

Gary

Newby here

I just got a CL 011 for $30 with case. The inside of the case and the saw was the oilest thing I have ever seen! Well after cleaning and being sure the saw ran I tackled the case and saw to clean it. A whole role of Blue paper towels and some naptha later every thing is clean (saw,bar, chain and case). the problem is that after sitting overnight there is a puddle under the saw about 5 inches in diameter.

Question is shouldn't the oiler not leak like that? or is it normal. I didn't check the pump as when it ran there seemed to be enough oil on the bar. What do you guys think

Gary

No. Oiler shouldn't leak like that esp. if it wasn't run. Check to see where oil is coming from. If its leaking around oil pump you may have a bad gasket. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you IPL and service manual

Thanks for the offer of the ipl and repair manual, but I got them yesterday from "beg for manuals"

Looks like tonight when I get off work I will remove both side covers, the bar and clean the case again. Then tomorrow look for where the oil came from and go from there.

Thanks again

gary

Just a thought. If it's leaking from the pump gasket, it's could be because the pump quit working and they tried to take it apart and fix it. Try running the saw with oil in it and the bar off to check if the pump is working. If it's not, it would save some time to fix the pump and the seal all at the same time.

I have the same issue mine leaks like a ##### too. Still trying to tune the saw but it leaves a puddle everywhere I lay the saw down. Also sprays oil all over the garage when I get the thing running. I haven't dug into this issue yet so let me know what you find out.

I spent time today with my John Deere Dealer who has been a friend for 20 years and after lots of discussion I went home and dumped the oil out(I don't know what was in the tank just what was in it when I bought the saw). Refilled with Real Bar Oil and then went outside and ran the saw for about 30 min. Bingo I think the PO had put engine oil in the tank and not bar Oil. It works as I expected No puddle when the saw is stopped. It set for 5 hours and nothing leaked out.

Check to see you have real bar oil in the tank that might fix the drizzle

Gary

I spent time today with my John Deere Dealer who has been a friend for 20 years and after lots of discussion I went home and dumped the oil out(I don't know what was in the tank just what was in it when I bought the saw). Refilled with Real Bar Oil and then went outside and ran the saw for about 30 min. Bingo I think the PO had put engine oil in the tank and not bar Oil. It works as I expected No puddle when the saw is stopped. It set for 5 hours and nothing leaked out.

Check to see you have real bar oil in the tank that might fix the drizzle

Gary

Boy, some times the best fix is the easiest. Great to hear its fixed. Had an 011 and sold it as I have an 024. Was a great saw but just didn't need two saws the same relative size.
Bob

Glad it was that simple. Those are the best fixes.

I ordered new gaskets for the oil pump hoping that cures my issue. If not the seem in the case is the culprit which i hope isn't the issue.

Bob
Talk to me about bars and chains. Which is best, or what do I need? I cut very little (as trees here in south texas don't grow much). But I want my saw to work well when I need it.

AS A SIDE NOTE: IT IS SNOWING!! First time in many years. I know most of you have snow and it is a pain but here it is really something. I was raised in North Texas where it snows every year, also ice storms but south texas has none of that. When it does snow I stay inside as possible, not that I can't drive in snow but most of the folks here can't.
Cheers

gary

Bob
Talk to me about bars and chains. Which is best, or what do I need? I cut very little (as trees here in south texas don't grow much). But I want my saw to work well when I need it.

AS A SIDE NOTE: IT IS SNOWING!! First time in many years. I know most of you have snow and it is a pain but here it is really something. I was raised in North Texas where it snows every year, also ice storms but south texas has none of that. When it does snow I stay inside as possible, not that I can't drive in snow but most of the folks here can't.
Cheers

gary

I'd get a 16 in. bar and chain combo. Mine ran it very well. Small enough to buck and trim but big enough for larger trees. If you don't expect to use it alot, a stihl combo isn't necessary though it is an excellent choice. Look at Baileys website under chainsaw bars. There is a "bar selector" section. I've used and liked Oregon bar and chains as well as Carlton. For your needs any of these will do. Hear good things about Arbormax as well, though I have no experience with them. You'll notice that the 011 uses a .50 gauge, 3/8 pitch bar and a 55 drive link lo profile chain. Very common size that sharpens with a 5/32 file.

I just got back from Vermont snowmobiling and while I was gone my wife busted my ba#$$ sending me a picture of our 6 in. snowfall in Plano.

http://www.baileysonline.com/barselector.asp

Bob

Wow! that seems like to good a deal but for 10 bucks you can't go wrong. I wasn't planning on replacing the bar but I might as well for that price. A chain would run more than that.

Back