stihl 011 gas in the chain oil reservoir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb

Reaction score
Hey Guys.....like the title says, somehow the saw mix gas is leaking over into the chain oil tank....and nope, I didn't mistakenly put gas in the oil tank..... although, I been there and did do that once..... : (

Topped of the saw gas a few days ago, looked in tank today, down about an inch.....chain oil was diluted with gas, pretty sure its gotta be transferring somehow. Any help out there from you Stihl guys? Many thanks, Rocky

had stihl 009, same thing, was gasket between cases... fuel/oil tanks next to each other. is 011 the same?

yes,
I have 10 of these things and they tend to leak through the crankcase gasket over time. Crankcase gaskets are a beeeeotch to put into these saws.

I have gas coming out of a vent line that is tucked into some foam held down and concealed by a clip. When I fill up the gas tank, gas will drain out of that line. What's the cause? Otherwise the saw runs fine.

The vent line on them is just a straight piece of line with a coiled spring inside it to prevent the line from collapsing, when the saw is laid on its side fuel can and often does spill out that line. Is the fuel leaking out the end of the line where the piece of foam is located?

The vent line on them is just a straight piece of line with a coiled spring inside it to prevent the line from collapsing, when the saw is laid on its side fuel can and often does spill out that line. Is the fuel leaking out the end of the line where the piece of foam is located?
Yes the line is stuck into the foam and has a plate screwed down to cover the foam. Took me a a few minutes to figure out where the gas was leaking. Is there something that sits in the line to minimize the amt. of gas spilling out?

There may or may not be an insert back near the tank end of the line, I have seen the grub screw type of restrictor in some fuel lines near the elbow off the tank, not sure if they came that way or someone thought they were a better method of keeping fuel out of that line. Check to see if there is any type of metal grub screw like restriction inside the line.

There may or may not be an insert back near the tank end of the line, I have seen the grub screw type of restrictor in some fuel lines near the elbow off the tank, not sure if they came that way or someone thought they were a better method of keeping fuel out of that line. Check to see if there is any type of metal grub screw like restriction inside the line.
I am mistaken. There is some gas coming out the vent tube, but when I plugged it now realize gas is leaking from a port located just above the bolt that secures the bar. This occurs when I lat the saw f lat on the bar side. Is this the port meant to feed oil to the chain?

Dang, yet another 010, 011 gasket problem. Before you sell the saw, consider a gasket sealer such as Permatex, provided the leak is not too bad. It might work. Parts on these old beasts are getting tough to find.

I also wonder how many rod roller bearings did them in when guys tried to over haul the engines and all the rollers fell out and into the case. That's one of the worst designs I've ever seen.

Plenty 009,010 and 012 Stihl saws went in dumpsters when the rollers fell out, I have fixed up several that were brought in that way. I also get calls and PM`s about how to reinstall them, not everyone has the patience to reinsert them and get the cylinder back on.

Plenty 009,010 and 012 Stihl saws went in dumpsters when the rollers fell out, I have fixed up several that were brought in that way. I also get calls and PM`s about how to reinstall them, not everyone has the patience to reinsert them and get the cylinder back on.
A little grease to hold the rollers in place, I don't mind working on those saws, there's plenty of worse saws to work on.

Back