Stihl 012 av fuel lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last year I went through a saga with a Stihl 012av, with bad spark. Got that sorted with an integrated module from lil red barn (amazon).

Worked great till a couple days ago when it quit in the middle of cutting overgrown sumac (I think). Being a 90 degree day I wrote it off for a couple days.

Gave me indications it might be the spark, but it also flooded a couple times. Not one to use logic, I kept at it, until I pulled the air filter cover. Pulling the air filter, I was greeted with the sight of TWO fuel line ends.

Seems odd it could run at all, in that condition.

Anyway, one of the "free" ends had a very small set screw in it, as if it was supposed to be there. Got no idea where it goes or where it came from. Don't see it on the IPL. But then I am still in the X-files zone over how the danged thing ran at all.

Two questions - what kind of fuel line is "best" and . . . what's the deal with that set screw?

Thanks for that. The parts guy for the fuel line set me straight as well. It is not clear how to change the hose, as the other broken part disappears into what may be a through hole near the carb. May be able to figure that out later after I go fetch the new hose. Pretty clear how the supply goes through. Fishing it through should be the biggest challenge.

The vent kit (hose, screw, filter, 17,18,19,20) is still available from Stihl. Your saw should have the vent tube ( part #6) pressed into the tank. The foam piece goes under the stamped cover (part 21) visible with the clutch cover removed. Routes through a hole in the upper corner of the carb box. upload_2018-7-18_12-33-28.png

The vent kit (hose, screw, filter, 17,18,19,20) is still available from Stihl. Your saw should have the vent tube ( part #6) pressed into the tank. The foam piece goes under the stamped cover (part 21) visible with the clutch cover removed. Routes through a hole in the upper corner of the carb box.

So, you are suggesting I replace the whole magilla and not just the hose with screw inserted? Happen to have a kit part number?

I may just replace the hose, if the filter is reasonably clean, or can be reused. I've got lots of zip ties and have not yet lost the set screw. However, I am having a heck of a time removing the clutch cover.

Edit - never mind.
If it were a car, by rear brakes would have burned up by now.
>>>
I've done this before and do not recall this problem. With the chain bar nut off, I can get the cover to move, but there seems to be some "spring back". I can get it about a half inch away from the saw body, but it wants to spring back.

I would replace both fuel lines and the filter.... look at it as preventive maintenance...because if the line in the tank breaks it will suck up all sorts of trash then you will for sure be doing a complete carb rebuild...usually when i do the lines i do a carb rebuild fuel filter and air filters any ways but that's me....I would for sure replace that fuel line and fuel filter not doing it is like asking for problems....try flipping your chain break either way and pull clutch cover...if the break is on it wont want to come off....

I would replace both fuel lines and the filter.... look at it as preventive maintenance...because if the line in the tank breaks it will suck up all sorts of trash then you will for sure be doing a complete carb rebuild...usually when i do the lines i do a carb rebuild fuel filter and air filters any ways but that's me....I would for sure replace that fuel line and fuel filter not doing it is like asking for problems....try flipping your chain break either way and pull clutch cover...if the break is on it wont want to come off....

Oh, I did replace the fuel lines. No choice actually. I did not replace the fuel pickup in the tank. I bought one when I got the fuel line, but what they had in stock was twice the size of the original. Despite what the shop said, it would not drop to the bottom of the tank, being too big, so I put in the old one which did not look too bad at all. I can replace that any time.

Latest posts

Back