Stihl 017 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike68

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me a 1998 017 this morning.
I dumped the fuel which was in it and put in fresh fuel.
Pulled the cord and it popped a couple of times.
then nothing, I have taken it apart cleaned the carb. Adjusted the carb to 1 turn out. Still nothing.
There is a good spark and fuel is getting through.
When I took it apart there was damage to the grey wire casing, but the wire seemed to be intact.
All connections clean.
Crank it and crank it nothing!
Any advice would be good .
A service manual would be good.
Thanks
Mike

"Grey wire casing"... is that the kill switch wire? If the insulation is damaged, it can cause intermittent and/or no spark.

If you put some gas down the pipe, will it pop?

You said you cleaned the carb. Did you install a new carb kit as well?

Like JonCraig said, pour a dribble of gas into the carb and see if it will fire up for a moment. If not, check that grey wire to be sure it's not shorting to ground somewhere. Oh, and I'd put a new spark plug in just to eliminate that as a possible source of frustration.

Tried new spark plug
Taped wire (was casing damaged).
Cant get muffler off as one of the nuts has rounded off!
There may have been what looks like a very small one way (green Rubber) valve left over when I put it back together!!!
cant think where it may have come from though.
I did take the fuel filter off and blow it out .
No new carb kit Thats next I think.

I am going to , but if there is fuel getting into the cylinder then surely it should fire ?

Anyone have any ideas where this may have come from???

Could "stihl" use a service manual and IPL if anyone could send me one please.

Mike

If u could get the muffler off and check the piston condition, I would, otherwise,what did the spark plug electrode look like on the original ? If I perceived the piston and compression was adequate then I'd proceed. If u found the vent in your gas tank, likely its deteriated from old gas, I'd do the carb kit and fuel line, make sure hi and lo passages are open .

Thank you all for the info , advice and manual.
When I get some time later I will strip it down again

Stripped it down ,
took fuel tank out refitted valve
took carb apart made a gasket out of thin cardboard
cleaned it , blew it with air line.
eventually got muffler off ....cleaned it
put fuel in pulled the cord .. vroom vroom vroom..........then nothing again. lots of swearing.... will have to try and source a carb kit.
Are the ebay ones any good?

Latest posts

Back