Stihl 020av carb issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cmuwriter1982

cmuwriter1982

I am trying to get an old Stihl 020av running. Can't find a replacement carb or even an apples to apples carb kit. Tried a lot of kits but can't get the saw to run without bogging. Any suggestions on what to do next? It's a very cool little arborist saw. Runs and idles well just can't get that high circuit going. 20221212_175110.jpg

Vintage Engine Repairs
Yeah the issue is with AM carb kits, the little kidney shaped diaphragm that sits over a drilling directly into the throat of the carb needs to flex and seal. The diaphragm on AM kits is too thick compared to the normal oem and this stops the drilling being sealed and thus you’re getting unmetered fuel as it’s not passing the screw.

Cut some of the excess diaphragm where the valve connects to the main part of the gasket and you’ve essentially made it easier to flex and the vacuum can thus overcome the resistance of the material. This will solve your issue.

cmuwriter1982

cmuwriter1982

Yeah the issue is with AM carb kits, the little kidney shaped diaphragm that sits over a drilling directly into the throat of the carb needs to flex and seal. The diaphragm on AM kits is too thick compared to the normal oem and this stops the drilling being sealed and thus you’re getting unmetered fuel as it’s not passing the screw.

Cut some of the excess diaphragm where the valve connects to the main part of the gasket and you’ve essentially made it easier to flex and the vacuum can thus overcome the resistance of the material. This will solve your issue.
A lot of the kits and parts manual for the saw show that there is just a kidney shaped gasket on that side. Would it be better to try to secure an OEM gasket set in your opinion? If so what should I get. Also is this car a WA1? I can't seem to find anything for WA1A. Thanks for the advice. I'm a novice.

Vintage Engine Repairs
A lot of the kits and parts manual for the saw show that there is just a kidney shaped gasket on that side. Would it be better to try to secure an OEM gasket set in your opinion? If so what should I get. Also is this car a WA1? I can't seem to find anything for WA1A. Thanks for the advice. I'm a novice.
There should be a diaphragm and gasket under the metal plate.

stihltech

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Pressure test the fuel fitting with the carburetor installed. Found many leaks where the intake manifold mates to the carburetor. A very fussy saw to get right, but pretty unbeatable for its size class. A pressure and vacuum test is a must. Lots of cylinder gaskets and pulse hoses.