Stihl 021 Stops running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefin650

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a stihl 021. Last year while cutting pine slabs, it died after about 15mins of use and I couldn't get it started. I let it sit for a few months and went to start it again. The saw started right up and ran for 5-10 mins no problem. I used the saw again yesterday to cut more pine slabs. The saw ran for about 15mins again and died. I could not get it started. There is no vacuum in the fuel tank. I have not tried it yet today.
Does it sound like a compression issue? I don't have a gauge to check it. I'm trying to find a friend that has one to borrow. Any one know what the compression should be?

Pull the muffler and have a look inside. If its the piston and rings, you'll see the marks on the piston. My guess is that the coil may be going bad, it restarts after its cooled off is a pretty good indicator. That saw probably needs a fuel line, filter, carb kit and a little tuning as well having sat for so long.

But if it will restart after it cools down, my bet is the coil.

I am with Randy on this, sounds like a spark issue. Drag it back out and run it, when it dies pull the plug and check for spark.

Most of the time it's the gas dump it out put in fresh & additive I forget what I use got it at Home Depot let sit a day or 2 if it starts run it hard ! Gas big prob. With saws.

Had that issue with a saw running too rich though it didn't sound like it most times. Would run well then die when I let off the throttle. After a couple times I could dump gas outta the spark plug opening. Just needed some tweaking of the metering lever. But I have little experience compared to most people on here like Randy and Guido. Just sharing my experiences.

Latest posts

Back