Stihl 021 teardown, with pics, and questions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK now, if the ball busting is over and done with... :)

The piston rings come qty 2 to a kit. So no extra there.

The seals, cheap ones at least, are eluding me right now. Ordinarily they are a couple of bucks at NAPA, but they are
priced higher now ($6.99 ea) for whatever reason.

The impulse line I may have to buy from the dealer near where I work, since I can't seem to find one online.

The carb kit is OEM Walbro.

The ArborMax B&C setup didn't come to me out of thin air; a quick search will turn up a number of satisfied AS'ers. It's an occasional use firewood saw; I'm not staring in a TV show with it.

Shipping for this lot to my zip code is $9.82.

I'm believe still under my previously discussed $100 allotted budget. So... :givebeer:

Or give me an idea of something else to do. I haven't ordered anything yet, I wanted to get done with cleaning it up so I didn't have to place a 2nd order for something small.

Jim / Wrooster

Not yet, if you have to buy the seals from Stihl, $16.95 each....

Impulse line, only $4.00

Not busting them too bad, just trying to give a reality check... You should
reuse most of your old stuff.....

Have you made any progress on this project?
I meant to tell you earlier, when you install the clutch-side seal take some dental floss,kite string or similar and wrap and fill the clip groove until it's flush with the shaft.Then slide the seal passed it.The groove has sharp edges that catch the seal and can cut or abrade or otherwise rough it up if you try to fight it across without filling it temporarily.

Last edited:
Have you made any progress on this project?

Thanks for asking. I have most everything cleaned up, I have all of the parts needed except one (which is coming tomorrow, hopefully), and reassembly will commence shortly.

<...>when you install the clutch-side seal take some dental floss,kite string or similar and wrap and fill the clip groove until it's flush with the shaft.

Thanks for the tip.

Jim / Wrooster

DSCN4399_sm.jpg

DSCN4400_sm.jpg

DSCN4401_sm.jpg

Everything's looking good,you might want to look into a new clutch cover.Yours is the older style,solid plastic,that tend to develop a permanent "squish" over time.The later ones have metal inserts in the bar holes to keep them from mashing out of shape.Yours looks alright now,just something you might want to upgrade in the future.

Latest posts

Back