Stihl 023 Chain Size and Sprocket Set Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidstein

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently bought a second hand stihl 023 chainsaw for my first chainsaw and it has a .325 pitch chain, 15 inch chain bar and 7 tooth sprocket.

I have ordered a new chain bar that is 16 inch and 3/8 pitch, i am wondering what tooth sprocket to use, i have seen you can get a 6 or a 7. I was thinking about going the 7 tooth as that is whats on it but i am unsure which one would get the most out of the chainsaw.

From what i have read the set up at the moment isnt the normal set up for the 023 and the reason i got the new 3/8 pitch 16 inch chain bar is when i entered the details of the chainsaw that is what it said it should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to A.S.!

Most people probably run .325 chain and a 16" bar (may only measure 15") on that saw; same as on an 025 or MS250.

The Oregon part finder:

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/lookups/selguide.aspx?BusId=OCS&SellReg=USA&LangId=ENG

suggests 3/8" low profile chain. This can be confusing when new to saws and chains, but 3/8 inch low-profile chain should be thought of something completely different from standard 3/8 inch chain. They are not compatible.

The chain and bar specified in the Oregon selector is 3/8 low-profile chain. Since you are switching chain sizes (.325 to 3/8 low-pro) you have to also switch sprockets to match the chain.

The standard 3/8 low-pro sprocket for that set up is 6 tooth. The .325 chain uses a 7 tooth sprocket, due to it's shorter length cutter links, to achieve a similar chain speed.

Philbert

Back