Stihl 024 New project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, It it probably more than I needed to split a 45cc saw case but I made a smaller one last year and it sucked, I made this last week and worked great

image-50616.jpg here is what i made and use its heavy but works in all the saws i work on from the 024 to the 064 i have less than 20 bucks in it because i used a steering wheel puller for the bolt and threaded bracket

Attachments

• image-50617.jpg
    image-50617.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
Yours is sweet and will not rip out bar studs
Best part about mine is it was made from shop scraps and hardware $0 in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I have a good 024Super piston and cylinder if you need.

I've read conflicting things on this topic, maybe a pro will chime in.

My understanding, which may be wrong, is this:

024 is 42mm jug. 2mm shorter stroke than 024S/026. Smaller case that may not fit the larger crank of the 024S/026. The top cover on the 024/024S has a bend in it and won't fit an 026 jug unless the top fins are machined off.

The 026 and the 024S share the same case and crank , but all the 024 cases I've seen have no adjustable oiler notch. The 024/024s cases sometimes only have a single bar nut.

If you manage to fit the crank in your case, you can use a 44mm 026 P&C on it if you sand down the rear fins.

Bottom line here is that either your piston or cylinder and/or case won't work with the 026 crank. That is, unless, your saw was mismatched and already was a "super".

Drf
Thanks for the info
A got an 026 crank and it fits.
I may take you up on the 024s p/c.
I have 026 one coming but I have to see if it will clean up.

Drf
Thanks for the info
A got an 026 crank and it fits.
I may take you up on the 024s p/c.
I have 026 one coming but I have to see if it will clean up.

Thats excellent to know.

So I can put an 026 crank in any 024 case? I'll have to try that next for the full sleeper ported saw.

Are you sure you dont have a super?

I would like to see the ported difference on one of these saws. This one was a plain Jane 024 WB no pro oiler hole 2 bar nuts with the most restrictive muffler I have seen on these saws. The top end from this saw looks nearly new except for where the flywheel rubbed the outside of the transfer. But from this thread I learned I can not use with 026/024s crank.
I thought about trying to port myself but don't want to ruin parts with my dremel. Lots of cool post but but I am not sure where to start.

I got a 026 case today for this project and when you set it side by side and turn the the 026 crank in the 024 case and the 026 case and crank even a novice like myself can see they roll over at different angles.

Thank you heads up SEAM and
Drf255 for the forward
And Mastermind for the original posting
Probably saved me a lot of trouble.
And some cash

I got 2 usable 026 cylinders and I can't resist so I'm going to try and port one for this saw!!!
Been doing a lot of reading on here.
Got a bunch of my Stihl dealers junk cylinders to practice

I am going through them to make sure I don't ruin one that may clean up.
9860546af49e814c3bfac22eeb79a133.jpg
251763fff36c8cbeae098897a911638f.jpg

I got 2 usable 026 cylinders and I can't resist so I'm going to try and port one for this saw!!!
Been doing a lot of reading on here.
Got a bunch of my Stihl dealers junk cylinders to practice

I am going through them to make sure I don't ruin one that may clean up.
9860546af49e814c3bfac22eeb79a133.jpg
251763fff36c8cbeae098897a911638f.jpg

HEY HEY HEY MISTER :mad:

Don't be sacrificing good cylinders on the altar of "porting knowledge" :p:laugh::laugh:

Don't be sacrificing good cylinders on the altar of "porting knowledge" :p:laugh::laugh:

I did say I was going try to clean them up first !!!
I think I have a 200t, 290-390, 361 and not sure on the other 2. one is strat the other not

I was always told if you don`t try you won`t learn anything, a few ruined cylinders along the way means you are trying . Maybe trying things others have missed.

I was always told if you don`t try you won`t learn anything, a few ruined cylinders along the way means you are trying . Maybe trying things others have missed.

You wuz told right. I guess I'm like the monkey with his hand caught in the cookie jar. He made a tight fist with the cookie, couldn't get it out and eat it but -- he did hold on to the cookie. :dizzy:

I'm ready to come to Saskatoon Saskatchewan and learn 026 porting! :cool:

Latest posts

Back