Stihl 024 New project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being very careful with the layout of where the ring ends are located in the cylinder is the first step I do, then I lay out the outer edges of the piston skirts, both intake and exhaust sides. Next I determine where I want to locate the upper transfers to, like widening them, extending them toward the intake side and where the upper top limits are for each different port job. I would need to know the squish before setting the upper trans height/degrees ATDC. When everything has been layid out then the grinding can begin.
I have been asked many times how to locate the exact spot the piston is located in a cylinder once the cylinder is off the saw. The easiest means is to mark the exhaust port opening on the actual piston before the cylinder is unbolted. Use a very sharp lead pencil and then with the muffler removed trace the outline of the exhaust port onto the piston when it is near TDC. Once the cylinder is removed and the piston is freed from the con rod it can then be put back in the cylinder to set the piston back up to where the tracing matches the exhaust port, I find leaving at least one ring in place on the piston helps keep it in place while then marking the edges of the piston skirts onto the cylinder walls.

Being very careful with the layout of where the ring ends are located in the cylinder is the first step I do, then I lay out the outer edges of the piston skirts, both intake and exhaust sides. Next I determine where I want to locate the upper transfers to, like widening them, extending them toward the intake side and where the upper top limits are for each different port job. I would need to know the squish before setting the upper trans height/degrees ATDC. When everything has been layid out then the grinding can begin.
I have been asked many times how to locate the exact spot the piston is located in a cylinder once the cylinder is off the saw. The easiest means is to mark the exhaust port opening on the actual piston before the cylinder is unbolted. Use a very sharp lead pencil and then with the muffler removed trace the outline of the exhaust port onto the piston when it is near TDC. Once the cylinder is removed and the piston is freed from the con rod it can then be put back in the cylinder to set the piston back up to where the tracing matches the exhaust port, I find leaving at least one ring in place on the piston helps keep it in place while then marking the edges of the piston skirts onto the cylinder walls.

Thank You I have been trying to find a place to begin....
I printed my degree wheel and am trying to think how to attach it with what I have. Drill chuck seems common.
It is hard to understand the #s (I understand on paper I think) without actually turning it over the wheel on the saw.
I do not have a 90* grinder only a flex shaft dremel so it limits my transfer work. I had a very gracious offer from a member to help with this! Thanks Al!
I want to as much as I can myself before I take him up on it so I can learn more than anything.
Your post above helped a bunch

Great info.

I printed my degree wheel and am trying to think how to attach it with what I have. Drill chuck seems common.
It is hard to understand the #s (I understand on paper I think) without actually turning it over the wheel on the saw.
I do not have a 90* grinder only a flex shaft dremel so it limits my transfer work. I had a very gracious offer from a member to help with this! Thanks Al!
I want to as much as I can myself before I take him up on it so I can learn more than anything.
28c00cf13999702cfe5fdc163a652958.jpg

Was wonder ing if one of these dremmle tool attachment would work for transfer ports. i am trying to learn about portng too. A lot of stuff to learn. Its like ya think ya got something figured out then the next thing confuses the hell out of ya.lol.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

There is a whole lot to learn and to get it all figured figured out before you start will not happen. Get the basics down and then only doing the work will help to get the rest to make sense, timing numbers will seem foreign at first, setting up the wheel will soon become second place.

b80b49c2fa3d44ad7d82056b4a0bea52.jpg

First attempt at squish

I did it 2 separate times
Front and back first 2 numbers
Then side to side second 2
No rings on piston

Look ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bb3ef43b48c2aa1cd3e4068c0fd881aa.jpg
e1c016e10faa4e6ecabe517ad388691e.jpg

Traced my do not touch lines from the piston
It would have easier with a ring in it as mentioned by another member.

How much do you raise exhaust on a normal woods port? A little or a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said ^^^. Raising exhaust creates higher revs but loses torque, small bore saws lose too much power raising the exhaust on work saws. For racers and cant cutters then there are certain tradeoffs that can be accommodated.

Latest posts

Back