Stihl 024 side tensioner conversion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had forgotten that model only had one stud; is the side cover sitting fully proud of the stud threads when it is on?

What I am asking is: does the nut fully capture the cover and bar or is it hitting the end of the stud threads?

The sprocket cover was not setting flush when it was on the saw it took a little force to move the front stud and tighten it down. I also tightened down the back stud into the case and now it is setting flush.
@HarleyT The sprocket and bearing are new oem stihl but i can get you a picture if needed.

The sprocket cover was not setting flush when it was on the saw it took a little force to move the front stud and tighten it down. I also tightened down the back stud into the case and now it is setting flush.
@HarleyT The sprocket and bearing are new oem stihl but i can get you a picture if needed.
No, I was just guessing that you may be having trouble with your new chain getting used to life with a worn out drive sprocket, as it will keep getting loose until the chain breaks in. I see that you are pretty close to me, as I am in the Campbellsville/Lebanon area.

No, I was just guessing that you may be having trouble with your new chain getting used to life with a worn out drive sprocket, as it will keep getting loose until the chain breaks in. I see that you are pretty close to me, as I am in the Campbellsville/Lebanon area.
I am about 5 miles from the Butler county line i reside out in Edmonson county it is peaceful out here being just surrounded by the trees.

The later 028 super cases had side tensioners. For awhile before they had side tensioners the case was made so both types could be used. Maybe your saw is the same? Pull the inner plate and look or post a pic.

I can't post pictures at the moment because of what happened at Nashville this morning. A rv with a bomb happened to go off at a AT&T hub that controls the internet, cellphone, landline, and emergency services communications for hundreds of miles so i have limited internet.
My local utility is advises people to stay off landlines so emergency calls can get through.

Would need a pic under the bar plate, it’s possible your case already machined for a side tensioner. If your case is machined for it, you’ll need the parts and a different side cover to access the adjuster.

Being that’s a super, a used 026 case with crank would be an easy swap. Should be plug and play.

The screw in bar stud eliminator can be removed and replaced with a second stud quite easily.

Back