Stihl 024 Super air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDHildy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I recently picked up a Stihl 024 AV Super. Great saw, runs like a champ. But it is in desperate need of a basic tune up, carb rebuild, air filter, fuel lines, retune, etc. I am having that damndest time trying to locate the correct air filter for it. I believe it to be the early model short fleece filter (1121 120 1625) but the model number on the existing filter is 1121 120 1605 and I cannot find that number anywhere. I found the 1625 version on Baileys but befreo i drop $40 on an air filter I want to be sure it is the right one. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Buy the flocked filter from the dealer. I have yet to see an aftermarket for the 024. Can you post a picture of your filter (unless you believe it is totally shot).
The 024's I've seen use a totally different filter from the 026, the 024 filters are short. I would not run a "screen only" filter -- make sure it is flocked.

i would get the flocked stihl filter as well. i have a pile of 024's, and they do not like the aftermarket filters, seems to choke them up too much. be patient, and watch fleabay. you can find them all the time for less than $20.

I went to the local 'dealer' by my house, but the only deal in homeowner stuff and definitely don't have any of the older stuff on hand. I'll cruise on over to the dealer by my old man's house this weekend and they will most likely have it. I hope...

Would be shocked if many dealers stock it any longer, unless they have been around for quit some time.

I'm sure they could, but I never asked. It's a little unnerving when I go in there asking for parts for my 362 and the guy looks at me with a blank stare and I glance at the shelf and the only saw they have is a 180... I thanked him for his time and just walked out. We recently moved to the area and this was the first time I had to go to a different dealer. I looked it up on Stihl and thought I'd check em out...

So I recently picked up a Stihl 024 AV Super. Great saw, runs like a champ. But it is in desperate need of a basic tune up, carb rebuild, air filter, fuel lines, retune, etc. I am having that damndest time trying to locate the correct air filter for it. I believe it to be the early model short fleece filter (1121 120 1625) but the model number on the existing filter is 1121 120 1605 and I cannot find that number anywhere. I found the 1625 version on Baileys but befreo i drop $40 on an air filter I want to be sure it is the right one. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Ignore the numbers that you may see on the Stihl parts you have, they will do nothing but confuse everyone involved...

See if you can get a copy of the mediacat here. It is updated to 2012, and has most of the newest mechanic's manuals. As well as
all of the parts lists.....

be careful because they do have two different p/n's in the ipl but the dealer should be able to look it up for you.
the part number you see is the detail p/n and not the whole assembly.

My dealer can order the filter for my 024AV. $31 and tax! Cheaper than a top end though.

How I clean my filters. Being careful not to damage the flocking, brush the worst of it off with a soft toothbrush. Next, split the halves and swirl them in warm, soapy water. Get clean water and repeat. Next, let them soak in soapy water 2 or 3 hours, some leave em overnight. Rinse em with hot tap water. Let em air dry. Compressed air is generally agreed to be a bad idea as it damages flocking and further imbeds any leftover debris in your filter.

My dealer can order owner for my 024AV. $31 and tax! Cheaper than a top end though.

How I clean my filters. Being careful not to damage the flocking, brush the worst of it off with a soft toothbrush. Next, split the halves and swirl them in warm, soapy water. Get clean water and repeat. Next, let them soak in soapy water 2 or 3 hours, some leave em overnight. Rinse em with hot tap water. Let em air dry. Compressed air is generally agreed to be a bad idea as it damages flocking and further imbeds any leftover debris in your filter.
I just ordered the one from the dealer $29 plus $5 shipping... That's a tough one to swallow for a filter, but I will def try your washing method to keep as a back up thank you.

I find it necessary to brush of the filter 2 or 3 times during the course of cutting a full pickup load. I always carry a soft bristled toothbrush in my cuttin box. The first few times must be very light so you don't imbed debris any further into the flocking.

The picture of your filter really doesn't look bad. Mine are down to the screen almost, yours shows plenty of flocking left. Just clean it and take it out when you cut so you can alternate filters.

I just ordered the one from the dealer $29 plus $5 shipping... That's a tough one to swallow for a filter, but I will def try your washing method to keep as a back up thank you.

Was it the 1625 one? The pictures I've seen that match my early model, short 024 filters have last four numbers, 1625.

Yes, that's the one I ordered. We will see on Monday when I go pick it up. Even though it's a holiday he said it would be there. I'll let you know when I pick it up

Latest posts

Back