Stihl 024AV Help Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still4Stihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As the title says I could do with a bit of help getting my Stihl Woodboss 024AV running properly again.

My problem is the saw will not run right. It starts cold fine but will not tick over properly. When I try to start it when (fully) hot it will only start with choke on full. It will rev for a second or two, then I switch choke off and it will start on second pull every time on fast idle. It will then run fine on full throttle when cutting but will only tick over for about 5 seconds and will die if I try to rev it.

I am then back to full choke, it fires and stops, off choke and it fires on second pull and runs at full throttle fine but won't tick over and dies if I let the revs go low. Then it full choke again, off choke, second pull on fast idle ............. well you get the picture.

So far I have put in a full carb kit, replaced fuel line and filter, replaced the impulse line and replaced the carb manifold boot, the old one had a split and I thought it might have been the problem, but seemingly not.

I'm going to strip the carb again in the morning and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner to see if that does anything but in the mean time I thought I'd pick the fine brains here for any solutions or advice you might have. :help::help:

Sorry for the long post but I have tried to put in any relevant details I can think of. Any questions fire away. Cheers Joe.

Last edited:
I'd pressure and vac test the case, maybe you've got a crank seal leaking.

Nah, going through the carb correctly will likely cure it.

Take that needle/spring/lever doo-hicky out while cleaning. Hold the carb body up to a light bulb first, and look through that passage under the screen, then clean the carb, and look through it again before reassembly, and visually verify that the passage is clear.

I had a 024 which had exactly the same symptoms. Passed pressure/vac fine. With the carb off another 024 it ran perfectly. Carb ended up spending a long time in USC before it behaved but eventually it was OK.

Back