stihl 025 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for some help from the knowledgeable Gurus here. Recently picked up a 025 as a back up saw. The saw would only run if fed thru the carburetor, so I replaced the intake boot, impulse line, gas line, carburetor, and crank seals. Now is hard to start and if you do get it started you cannot adjust the carb for smooth throttle response. The saw will not idle and there is a stream of gas coming from the gas tank vent. What am I missing here.

Is that one of the saws with a primer bulb? Also you mentioned new carb. It's been our experience here that not all new carbs are good. You can also give the engine a pressure test to make sure the engine isn't leaking air.. other than that I'll have to think on it a bit...

]]

Assuming the piston passes inspection on both sides and compression meets or exceeds minimum...
Put the diaphragms from the new carb into the old one and try it out.
The old tank vent style will purge fuel if you shake the saw up enough.

palmer jr.- this saw is one of the older ones that has made in Germany on the starter cover.
chainsaw jim - I have upgraded the carb from the single screw to a dual screw

This was from a cold start after replacing those parts. This saw was purging fuel while in the holding vice being used to hold saw to adjust the carburetor.

palmer jr.- this saw is one of the older ones that has made in Germany on the starter cover.
chainsaw jim - I have upgraded the carb from the single screw to a dual screw
It isn't uncommon for a carb to be bad out of the box. They usually only get tested after they're installed on a saw.

I think you have a bad tank vent too! Kinda hard to diagnose a saw with gas flying around everywhere. I'd fix that vent first and then pull the carb, tear it down, clean it real good, inspect everything one more time, re-install it, go 1 turn out on H and L needles, and give it a pull.

Replaced the 2-screw carb with the original 1 screw with the same results. Would the lack of compression cause the excess pressure in the tank and the vent to leak gas? What top end is recommended Stihl or aftermarket?

If the concern is the compression then have it tested, any small engine shop has a gauge if you don't..Lack of compression won't affect anything outside of the engine like the fuel tank. If you check compression go ahead and give it a pressure/vacuum test on the engine crankcase also.

I did not do a compression check, here are the pictures Harley T asked for

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    584.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    625.6 KB · Views: 31
Pics don't look too bad, still could have low compression. I rebuilt a concrete saw this week that had a piston that looked like that but it only had 90 psi. compression. I put in a new set of rings and raised the compression much.

Looking for some help from the knowledgeable Gurus here. Recently picked up a 025 as a back up saw. The saw would only run if fed thru the carburetor, so I replaced the intake boot, impulse line, gas line, carburetor, and crank seals. Now is hard to start and if you do get it started you cannot adjust the carb for smooth throttle response. The saw will not idle and there is a stream of gas coming from the gas tank vent. What am I missing here.
The old 25 is what we call a clamshell saw those have a shorter service life than the Pro Models magnesium crankcase halves main issue on that saw is bearing wear on the crankshaft seal leakage case leakage and cylinder and piston wear pull exhaust off roll piston up and look for scoring sounds to me like you got a vacuum leak and the little short vent tube is missing or cracked for your tank vent , still had several versions of that song including one with a primer you can eliminate the primer and convert it back to Old School

Replaced the 2-screw carb with the original 1 screw with the same results. Would the lack of compression cause the excess pressure in the tank and the vent to leak gas? What top end is recommended Stihl or aftermarket?
Check the fuel tank vent on that saw the original model was a short clear tube with a screw in the end of it the set screw the later version Incorporated a longer black tube with a new type vent that was above and over the card if your saw has a primer on the right side orange cover you can eliminate that and convert it back to the short tank vent pressure leakage from a fuel tank is not from lack of compression

I'm just collecting opinions I guess. Should I venture into a aftermarket manufacture or a aftermarket parts source ? replacement parts or a complete engine block. How to identify a USA manufacture??

Aside from all those wanting to sell me a complete engine, I do not have the on the experience to know a good one from a bad one, and the prices are all over the place.

Latest posts

Back