Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jayskye2000 said:
Thanks guys. I think I can get the 025 for under 100.00, I'll let ya know how I make out.

If it runs out right that would be an excellent deal. And do let us know how things come out. :Eye:

You'll be happy with it. I have cut many many cords of firewood with mine. It's not a pro saw, but it's about the best homeowner/semi-pro saw there is IMO. Don't be afraid to run the 18" bar on it. Mine always had more than enough power with 18" bar and full chisel chain and I cut some BIG trees with it. Don't use that silly 26RM2 Stihl sells it with unless you are unfamiliar with a saw and kickack. If you are inexperienced the low kick chain might not be a bad idea.

26RM is wery comfort, if you like to work lot of with bar nose, as I do ;)

Thanks again guys. I'll know in about 2 weeks if I'm getting it. Don't remember what chain is on it, but it looks like new, and the factory bar is still in place, and readable!

pinus said:
26RM is wery comfort, if you like to work lot of with bar nose, as I do ;)
RMC should be even more comfortable, and RS faster in clean wood.

I also think that saw is a very good candidate for a narrow kerf setup.....
(Oregon 95VP/Micro-lite, or Carlton from Baileys).

SawTroll said:
RMC should be even more comfortable, and RS faster in clean wood.

I also think that saw is a very good candidate for a narrow kerf setup.....
(Oregon 95VP/Micro-lite, or Carlton from Baileys).

Is the narrow kerf oregon chain rated for 3+HP? The Stihl PMN chain is only for saws below 2hp (in the USA).

Here it is :

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/misc/MicroLiteBroch.pdf

As I suspected, the .043 3/8 is only for saws less than 40cc (like CC has anything to do with hp!), and is similar to the Stihl PMN chain

For 38->62cc, you have to use the .050 .325 As far as I can figure out, the Oregon .325 "narrow kerf" is pretty much the same kerf as the Stihl "Picco" (3/8). Maybe I need to read more, or measure it. Anyone have this figured out?

Lakeside53 said:
Is the narrow kerf oregon chain rated for 3+HP? The Stihl PMN chain is only for saws below 2hp (in the USA).
I was referring to .325 / .050gauge NK chain.

Stihl does not sell that. PMN is 3/8" lo-pro / .043, which is a weaker chain.

95VP/H30/S30 works great on bigger saws than Oregon originally rated them for. :)
Over here they are standard on Huskys and Jreds with more power than an 025, like the 353 and 346xp.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
For 38->62cc, you have to use the .050 .325 As far as I can figure out, the Oregon .325 "narrow kerf" is pretty much the same kerf as the Stihl "Picco" (3/8). Maybe I need to read more, or measure it. Anyone have this figured out?

I think that is about right, but I have never had an opportunity to compare them.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
I was referring to .325 / .050gauge NK chain.

Stihl does not sell that. PMN is 3/8" lo-pro / .043, which is a weaker chain.

95VP/H30/S30 works great on bigger saws than Oregon originally rated them for. :)
Over here they are standard on Huskys and Jreds with more power than an 025, like the 353 and 346xp.

Stihl once offered 3/8 Picco bars in 20 and 24 inch for the USA, for milling, but now they are not available. Hmmm, 066 with a picco bar...

If the chain tooths cutting skirts will not cover all the kerf area (width) (pico), then such chain will not cut very well along the wood :dizzy:

Back