Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
You'll be happy with it. I have cut many many cords of firewood with mine. It's not a pro saw, but it's about the best homeowner/semi-pro saw there is IMO. Don't be afraid to run the 18" bar on it. Mine always had more than enough power with 18" bar and full chisel chain and I cut some BIG trees with it. Don't use that silly 26RM2 Stihl sells it with unless you are unfamiliar with a saw and kickack. If you are inexperienced the low kick chain might not be a bad idea.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
pinus said:
26RM is wery comfort, if you like to work lot of with bar nose, as I do ;)
RMC should be even more comfortable, and RS faster in clean wood.

I also think that saw is a very good candidate for a narrow kerf setup.....
(Oregon 95VP/Micro-lite, or Carlton from Baileys).

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
SawTroll said:
RMC should be even more comfortable, and RS faster in clean wood.

I also think that saw is a very good candidate for a narrow kerf setup.....
(Oregon 95VP/Micro-lite, or Carlton from Baileys).

Is the narrow kerf oregon chain rated for 3+HP? The Stihl PMN chain is only for saws below 2hp (in the USA).

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Here it is :

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/misc/MicroLiteBroch.pdf

As I suspected, the .043 3/8 is only for saws less than 40cc (like CC has anything to do with hp!), and is similar to the Stihl PMN chain

For 38->62cc, you have to use the .050 .325 As far as I can figure out, the Oregon .325 "narrow kerf" is pretty much the same kerf as the Stihl "Picco" (3/8). Maybe I need to read more, or measure it. Anyone have this figured out?

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Lakeside53 said:
Is the narrow kerf oregon chain rated for 3+HP? The Stihl PMN chain is only for saws below 2hp (in the USA).
I was referring to .325 / .050gauge NK chain.

Stihl does not sell that. PMN is 3/8" lo-pro / .043, which is a weaker chain.

95VP/H30/S30 works great on bigger saws than Oregon originally rated them for. :)
Over here they are standard on Huskys and Jreds with more power than an 025, like the 353 and 346xp.

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Lakeside53 said:
For 38->62cc, you have to use the .050 .325 As far as I can figure out, the Oregon .325 "narrow kerf" is pretty much the same kerf as the Stihl "Picco" (3/8). Maybe I need to read more, or measure it. Anyone have this figured out?

I think that is about right, but I have never had an opportunity to compare them.

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
SawTroll said:
I was referring to .325 / .050gauge NK chain.

Stihl does not sell that. PMN is 3/8" lo-pro / .043, which is a weaker chain.

95VP/H30/S30 works great on bigger saws than Oregon originally rated them for. :)
Over here they are standard on Huskys and Jreds with more power than an 025, like the 353 and 346xp.

Stihl once offered 3/8 Picco bars in 20 and 24 inch for the USA, for milling, but now they are not available. Hmmm, 066 with a picco bar...

pinus

pinus

ArboristSite Operative
If the chain tooths cutting skirts will not cover all the kerf area (width) (pico), then such chain will not cut very well along the wood :dizzy:

Latest posts