Stihl 026 Fuel Leak problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodturner2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this Forum, but I like what I see. A great information source with many informed and knowledgeable folks. It is a pleasure to join ya!

I have a Stihl 026 Pro I purchased from my local Stihl dealer, new, in '01. The saw has seen some use, but nothing like I put my other Stihl saws thru when I was in the Landscape Contracting/Tree Service biz years back. After about 1 1/2 years of light to moderate service, the saw will leak any remaining fuel in the tank after I cased and stored it. It didn't matter if the saw was sitting upright, or on the side case......it leaked ALL the remaining fuel. After jacking around with the dealer on this issue for quite a while (who I have purchased from for years) I decided to just dump the remaining fuel after use and fill it the next time I cut. The saw is always transported cased, and has never been dropped or abused. (I have an 028 Wood Boss that is at least 20 years old, and is still kickin', and I pride myself in caring for my saws very well.) In short, is this a problem with this model saw? My dealer has really peeved me, as they have been no help at all, after my years of dealing with them, and spending serious green. All they said was it was most likely the tank, and the repair would be nearly $300 or so?. I finally have had it with the problem, and emailed Stihl this morning. I haven't had to contact Stihl until now, as my experience with their power equipment has mostly been very positive. I know there are many, many years of experience here at the forum, and am interested to see some comments or advice. Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice/solutions!

No, it's not a problem with this model or other models that use a similar tank. I've seen a couple leak from seams, and a LOT leak from where a chain throw has punched a hole!

Have you pressurized the tank and looked for where it leaks with soapy water? if it leaks all the gas out then it's most likely the seam at the bottom. You can repair this without to much problem with either plastic welding, or JB weld epoxy. It's important to degrease the tank thoroughly, groove out the old plastic in the seam first then back fill. You dealer probably won't repair the old tank - liability...

If the tank really needs replacing, it's about a 30-45 minute job to swap one out at MOST, maybe an hour you haven't done it before. They are available used for about $60, or less. It's not difficult to do yourself. $300 is way over the top, even with a new tank (list price of $126).

Thanks for the reply. I haven't looked into the problem much, but I plan to tomorrow. I emailed Stihl customer service, and received a reply this afternoon. They have forwarded my message to the distributor that supplies the vendors in my area, including the one I purchased the saw from. Before I tear it down to repair it, I want to see what they have to say. I have a very good friend in the Auto Body Repair business that has a plastic welder, so if it is indeed a seam leak, which I suspect you are right, a fix should be fairly straightforward. I appreciate the response and suggestions.........I will let you know how things turn out with the distributor. Thanks again for taking the time to help! :cheers:

I thought I would update where I am currently on the fuel leakage issue with my 026 Stihl. I pulled the tank today, and cleaned it up good, pressurized the tank with soapy water and could detect no leaks. Currently, it is full of fuel and I will let it sit overnight to see if there is a leak. It has been sitting, full of fuel for a couple of hours now, and I see no leakage. The fuel must be getting out of the tank somehow, because it sure leaks the tank bone dry when it sits overnight, no matter what the fuel level is. Kinda has me baffled at the moment, but maybe, just maybe, the tank will leak overnight, but so far, it is holding fuel just fine. Sure is strange, at least to me! :confused:

stihl bad

went out and bought my first stihl yesterday and cut one tree before it would not start again no spark,called custemer service told them if they wated me to own a stihl i would need some kind of rebate,they told me i couldn't return the saw any way so your stuck with it drop it off at the shop and we'll see whats wrong,i bought this saw to cut wood not sit in the shop,called my credit card company and they said no problem payment will be stopped.my question is why would anyone buy this brand?OTHER THAN THE NAME,,,

Well, things happen to them all sometimes. I wouldn't judge Stihl a bad saw because a component failed. At least your saw is under warranty and should be repaired at no cost. I know how frustrating it can be though, I feel your pain! :(

I found the problem with my saw this morning. My 026 has a Walbro WT 493 carburetor, and the plastic barbed fitting that the fuel line connects to is cracked. As soon as I put the saw back together and fueled it up, I saw the leak at the fitting. Of course, the fitting is not sold seperately, as it is part of the Carb. body. So, it is either try to JB Weld it up and hope it holds, or order a new carburetor. I decided to do both. I have to cut for a couple of hours this weekend, so I cleaned up the area around the fitting and carb. body, and JB'd 'er good. I also ordered a new Carburetor that will be here next Tuesday, at about $67.00. At least I found the problem and can have it fixed like new in short order, without taking it to the dealer. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

the custumer service was the part that really tee'd me off,gonna buy an echo after i return the stihl,really don't have the time to deal with a broken saw right now,thats why i bought a new one,,,,,,,,just want to sever all ties with stihl,,left a bad taste all around,,,

There really is no excuse for poor customer service, no matter what the product is. It seems that now days, some vendor's have no idea of the concept of customer service. That's too bad too. Perhaps you could email Stihl customer service directly and tell them of your plight. I have contacted them a few times, and they are prompt, and really do follow up with complaints. Good luck with whatever flavor saw you decide to go with!

thank you,and thanks for letting me vent,didn't mean to come onto this board ranting,but just thought people should know of a bad experience when making a choice of saws,thanks again

Did you call Stihl or the dealer you bought the saw from? If you called Stihl then that was your first mistake. If you called the dealer you bought it from and they gave you the run-around then shame on them. One crappy dealer is NO reason to write off a whole company that produces some of the best saws money can buy. There are dozens of Stihl dealers near me (less than an hour away) but I will only deal with one of them because of their service. To be fair, you should expect your dealer to quickly fix the saw under warranty. If the first thing you told them was that you wanted a rebate then you immediately set yourself up to be disappointed and set them up to be on the defensive-not a good way to resolve a problem. They sold you a saw that ran when it left their shop. They have no way of knowing that the factory installed electrical part was going to fail nor should they expect it to fail since it was a new saw (we are talking about a new saw here aren't we?). If we're not talking about a new saw then you need to tell us the details of the deal to determine if the dealer treated you fairly.

As far as why would anyone buy this brand, ask the untold thousands of professional users who rely on them every day why they choose Stihl over any other brand. It is a rhetorical question as the answer is quite obvious.
Finnbear

paulpa said:
went out and bought my first stihl yesterday and cut one tree before it would not start again no spark,called custemer service told them if they wated me to own a stihl i would need some kind of rebate,they told me i couldn't return the saw any way so your stuck with it drop it off at the shop and we'll see whats wrong,i bought this saw to cut wood not sit in the shop,called my credit card company and they said no problem payment will be stopped.my question is why would anyone buy this brand?OTHER THAN THE NAME,,,

paulpa said:

Yes, it sounds like you called the wrong people about your saw. You should have called the dealer. Better yet, taken it back since theres nothing they could have done for you over the phone.

What good would it have been for you to get a rebate on a saw that doesnt run? So they send you some hush money, you still have a broken saw, something smells fishy there. Not to mention, if you just bought the saw, used it once, and it broke, theres no reason your dealer wouldnt either fix it, or simply give you a new saw, something about a 7 day use it and if you dont like it bring it back and swap for a different one comes to mind.

I think this is ole Sappy boy in disguise.

thank you and your so right,i did make a mistake by trying to deal directly with stihl.i went to the dealer and they took care of me right away,i was cutting wood within a half hour ,and yes let me eat a little crow here,the saw runs like a bear,i guess i was a little frustrated trying to cut wood in 95 degree heat with a brand new saw that wouldn't run,,,,thanks for your help on this subject,to all that answered,,,,,,,

paulpa said:
thank you and your so right,i did make a mistake by trying to deal directly with stihl.i went to the dealer and they took care of me right away,i was cutting wood within a half hour ,and yes let me eat a little crow here,the saw runs like a bear,i guess i was a little frustrated trying to cut wood in 95 degree heat with a brand new saw that wouldn't run,,,,thanks for your help on this subject,to all that answered,,,,,,,

That doesn't sound like sap!:)

Woodturner2 said:
Well, things happen to them all sometimes. I wouldn't judge Stihl a bad saw because a component failed. At least your saw is under warranty and should be repaired at no cost. I know how frustrating it can be though, I feel your pain! :(

I found the problem with my saw this morning. My 026 has a Walbro WT 493 carburetor, and the plastic barbed fitting that the fuel line connects to is cracked. As soon as I put the saw back together and fueled it up, I saw the leak at the fitting. Of course, the fitting is not sold seperately, as it is part of the Carb. body. So, it is either try to JB Weld it up and hope it holds, or order a new carburetor. I decided to do both. I have to cut for a couple of hours this weekend, so I cleaned up the area around the fitting and carb. body, and JB'd 'er good. I also ordered a new Carburetor that will be here next Tuesday, at about $67.00. At least I found the problem and can have it fixed like new in short order, without taking it to the dealer. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

This info is probably a little late for you, but for any future readers of this post...

That little elbow is easily replaced... Just snaps on. I can pull one off an old carb if you like and post it to you.

On the replacement carb, the best choice is to get the two screw carb like a WT426-1 etc..? You can get them direct from Walbro distributors for a lot less then from Stihl.

Finnbear said:
Yeah, I thought I smelled sap too.;)
Finnbear

LOL! You all need to get your smellers fixed.

Why do you think that everyone who posts here with a crappy Stihl problem is "me"? What, you think there are no other problems in Stihl-land? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Dupes!!!...the lot of you!!!

I especially loved the part about having to buy an entire $65 carb for a $1 part. Nice. I'd be using the JBWeld too.

Lakeside53 said:
On the replacement carb, the best choice is to get the two screw carb like a WT426-1 etc..? You can get them direct from Walbro distributors for a lot less then from Stihl.

I appreciate the offer for the fitting, but I have this one "welded" up and it is holding fine so far. I think it will get me thru the weekend cutting I have to do. I would be interested in another Walbro application that has both high and low speed adjustment screws. My 028 has high and low adjustability, and that is the way to go. Do you have any recommendations on where I can go about getting another model carb. for this 026 with both high and low adjustment needles? A part number would be very helpful too. Thanks again for all the help, it is very much appreciated!

(I did a bit of searching for the Walbro WT 426-1 you suggested, but came up empty?)

coveredinsap said:
LOL! You all need to get your smellers fixed.

Why do you think that everyone who posts here with a crappy Stihl problem is "me"? What, you think there are no other problems in Stihl-land? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Dupes!!!...the lot of you!!!

I especially loved the part about having to buy an entire $65 carb for a $1 part. Nice. I'd be using the JBWeld too.

LOL...even after Lake said it is possible to replace the elbow.......

Latest posts

Back